Dehydration after a nights sleep

Posted , 5 users are following.

After a nights sleep I wake up with a headache which is slightly relieve after a drinking water although I still feel tired and fuzzy headed for the rest of the day.

The headaches started to occur after after I moved into a new build house. Our last house was colder and humid. The new house is warmer and less humid.

Is it possible that warmer and dry air cause dehydration overnight? Can that cause morning headaches and fatigue during the day?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes - warm, dry air can cause dehydration. The warmth will cause more perspiration, and the dryness will cause natural perspiration to evaporate more quickly, allowing for further perspiration. And dehydration can certainly cause headaches. When I was young I often suffered from migraines, and was able to identify dehydration as one of the main triggers.

Turn the heating down, especially in the bedroom, and leave a small window open. If you live in a country like the UK where "hopper windows" are the norm, that is. Unfortunately, in my country these are unheard of so we only have gigantic windows you can't open without having a hurricane blow through the house! You may find you have to drink more fluids now you've moved house. Try drinking an extra glass of water or cup of weak tea before going to bed. I'm sure you'll find you way through this one.

Another thought: have you had the house checked out for possibly toxic chemicals in the wall insulation etc.? I think this is unlikely if it's a new build, as building regulations have become much stricter in the past few years all over the world. I'm in a new build (3 years old) too, and I've never had any problems, apart from the fact that I've had to ditch the heavy bedclothes I used to need in the old, draughty place! Do new builds have to have air-exchangers where you live? We do here, and mine is plumbed in so I can never turn it off completely, only up or down. (Not the same as aircon - it doesn't cool or heat the air, just keeps it circulating.) If you've got one keep it turned on all the time. I was worried about costs when I first moved in but was told it only burned as much as a 40-watt bulb, which has proved to be the case.

• Posted

Thanks for comprensive answer :-) 

Heating is turned off in the bed room now.  We have gone down from a winter quilt to a summer quilt.  Not checked for toxic chemicals, how do you go about this? No Air exchanges but we have trickle vents.  However, its too cold to leave the trickle vents on.  I did dry the cloths in the bedroom last night to get a bit more water in the air which has helped but still not feeling great.   

• Posted

Have you electric heating?

To. Improve this put a bowel or fancy dish of fresh water in each room, it puts moisture in the air xx

• Posted

we have central heating system with radiators. I dont have the radiator on in the bedroom. I'll try the bowl idea.  Is it better to have a lot of surface area for the water? 
  • Posted

Hi Alex

i know you mentioned new build, but is your boiler functioning properly. Carbon monoxide poisoning gives you regular headaches. It may be worth checking. I always sleep with my bedroom windows open a little. If i forget, i tend to get headache specifically along my forehead.

Another thought could they be stress related due to the build up to the move + the actual move.

Please make sure no carbon monoxide is escaping.

wishing you better

god bless ♥♥

• Posted

Boiler appears to be functioning correctly.  I thought some of it maybe the result of stress but its been going on for 3 months now. one night i woke up and drank lots of water and felt good the next morning, which tells me its dehydration.
    • Posted

Hi Alex

It's still worth speaking with your doc to find out what's making you so thirsty. Have you had your blood checked recently to check for any deficiencies?

Hope you get to the bottom of it.

god bless ♥

• Posted

A late reply here but thought I would share incase anyone else has similar symptoms.  It turns out to be a migraine that was the cause.  After I took a tripton (Anti migraine tablet) I was fine after.  I'm not sure on the trigger for the migraine.  It seems to occur every summer between August and September.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.