Dehydration after iliostomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi again everyone. I think most people know my story. Just need some help with a problem. My surgeon is concerned about my dehydration, common with iliostomies. It's quite bad. I can't take Imodium ,( not sure what it's called in uk, ) it gives me weird side effects ,  I just can't tolerate it, but that is recommended to thicken output. I know all the foods to thicken, but still having problems. Stoma nurse recommended powdered pectin. I can only get hold of citrus pectin from health shop. I have tried a teaspoon in water. Weird texture, but fine . And it's a natural product. Anyone else tried this? Thanks for any help in advance. Great forum. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Thanks I will try pectin after 12 days of diarrhea my doctor finally agreed a few hours ago that I could take Immodium Natural would be better
    • Posted

My 13days of diarrhea, finally took Imodium but only worked 1day, so Dr prescribe Questran for diarrhea. 
    • Posted

I wish I could take Immodium. I have a bag so I need too slow things down. I just cannot tolerate it. 
  • Posted

What about xanthan gum?  It's a thickener.

• Posted

Well I I wil try the pectin first, but that's a good idea. I must get past the dehydration to get well. I'm kinda feeling like it's one obstacle after another at the moment. Lol. I get anxious too.

• Posted

When I was growing up my Sweet Hungarian mother always had family mix 2 tablespoons of corn starch with enough water to mix it not to much this worked well I am glad I remembered that she used it until she passed last year at age 89
  • Posted

Try marshmallows, seriously.
    • Posted

Rhiannon I hope you can get something that works I have been so weak can't leave home every time I stand up it's straight to the bathroom going through pads like crazy Have you tried cheese I'm praying the Immodium works without causing flare up Good luck

• Posted

I hope it works for you. It certainly works. It's very effective. You should be fine with it. I just can't take the side effects . 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.