Delayed allergic reaction??

Posted , 2 users are following.

So, my husband is allergic to some animals. We are looking to get a dog and went to visit a breeder tonight. Hubby had 5 puppies and 2 full grown mini dachshunds climbing him and licking him for about an hour. He was a little bit sniffly towards the end but that's it... until now.

3 hours later his eyes are red and swollen. Is there such a thing as a delayed allergic reaction? When he was around my dads dog, within minutes, he'd be sneezing, runny eyes and nose, itchy throat etc

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It sure could be a delayed reaction. There may be something else at your dad's house that adds to your husband's allergies that makes him react quicker. So that at your dad's house he's acting to the dog and another allergent so he reacts quicker.

Whereas in this other situation at the breeders he only had the dogs to react to. It also could have something to do with when he might have touched his own face after touching the dogs, whether you were inside or outside with the dogs, even breed of dog. How long ago had the dogs been bathed.

• Posted

I'm not too sure? They were all beautifully clean though. House didn't smell at all 'doggy'.

I'm so upset as tonight was a big test to see how he was with them. I was so happy when he didn't have a reaction to them... I'm not sure if we can get one now. The children and I have fallen in love with one of the pups...

• Posted

I love dogs and I can really understand how much you want to have a dog but you can't put your husband through that. There are a couple of breeds that are supposed to be easier on someone with allergies. I know one of them is a poodle but I don't remember the others. Experts will tell you that no dog is hypoallergenic and other people will tell you that certain breeds are hypoallergenic. But I do know I've heard people say that they do not react to certain breeds. So if you are going to insist on getting a dog then at least look into the breeds that are less likely to bother your husband.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.