delaying a dose

Posted , 8 users are following.

have an xmas party planned. Does anyone out there ever delay a dose of mtx if they have a special occasion and have a couple of cheeky glasses of wine. Im aware that one shoudnt consume alcohol but on the very odd occasion do you think its ok to do this??rolleyes

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't think it would be wise to skip a dose and I have had a couple of glasses of wine while taking it, but remember, everyone is different.  Be careful 
  • Posted

Yes to the wine but flush it out with lots of water before bed but if you're going to delay your dose do it by moving it a day over a few weeks so it gradually creeps away from the weekend you are having your party....otherwise I wouldn't delay it more than a day
    • Posted

My plan is to forget to take it on Saturday eve (night of the party) and take them on Sunday eve. I'm only gonna have a couple of glasses. I shouldn't think that it will make a big difference?
    • Posted

I was informed not to drink the day of or the day after taking the meds. I stupidly started on a Friday . . . And like suggested above I am skipping the Friday now and taking it in the Saturday. Next week I'll skip the Saturday and take it on the Sunday until my day to take the meds is Tuesday. I had a glassof wine on my birthday and a shot of gran mariner in my coffee Christmas morning . . .no problem. You'll find that when you do have a drink, you won't want to exceed one or two glasses. Flushing your body with water that night while drinking and the next morning certainly helps. If in doubt do without!
  • Posted

What dose are you on and have you thought of asking your doctor or clinic nurse?

I missed 2 doses for a different reason and was ok to begin with but glad to start taking it again after 2 and a half weeks.

So missing one dose probably won't hurt but taking it the following day may well be the same thing as taking the MTX and drinking alcohol at virtually the same time.

I think that if I wanted to drink, I would ask my Consultant.  [I actually can't face alcohol these days!]

• Posted

I'm on 15 mg. only been taking it for 6 weeks. I know I shouldn't be drinking! I've been alcohol free for the whole time. My Xmas party on sat night. Would love to have a couple. Thing is if I delay the dose does that mean I always then take it on the following day instead of the sat?! 

Too much to think about ...rolleyes

maybe I won't take a drink at all. Easier all round!

• Posted

I have just found this, perhaps it will help:

The increased risk of liver damage is significant for people who are drinking alcohol while taking methotrexate. Ideally, you should not drink alcohol if you take methotrexate. At most, with your doctor's permission, you should have no more than two drinks per month

• Posted

There are some fab alcohol free and dealcoholised wines available.  Try Torro wines in Waitrose, and Sainsbury's have a sparkling cava type drink.  It's not worth the long term effect of liver failure - that is a whole different ball game!

• Posted

Thanks lucynewas. I shall give them a try and perhaps get tipsy on the atmosphere!

are alcohol free and dealcoholised wines the same thing?

• Posted

Hi Camraf

Most de-alcoholised wines are 0.5%. Alcohol free must have none. In addition to Torres de-alc wines (at Waitrose), I've had Sainsbury's rose too - and that was ok.  Waitrose Ebony Vale Chardonnay is good too.

• Posted

I have been on Methotrexate 20mg for 12 years now and having the odd pint or 2 doesn't do any harm.

I have found that if like christmass you have a couple each day for the 2 days then again new year it's ok.

BUT you need to not drink for a couple of weeks before and again after.

I am a man that is 220lbs which may have some thing to do with it to.

• Posted

If/when you have an alcoholic drink, you may find that you don't like it at all!

• Posted

Hi. I had 2 drinks a few Saturdays ago,,all that happened to me was I was very exhausted,,,it enhanced the feeling exhausted side effect
  • Posted

I have gone off alcohol completely, which is just as well because I now have elevated liver enzymes probably because they have had to add another drug to my collection, though this one is temporary, thank goodness.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.