delaying of ankle surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I broke my ankle on November 17 2018It is a very bad break. I am diabetic and also have Charcot Marie Tooth which is a form of MD. Surgery is definitely my only option I am currently wearing an air brace to my knee. Problem is surgery cannot be done until Jan 22 2019 due to not being able to get surgery scheduled any sooner through hospital.. Am I in any danger health wise due to having such a long delay for surgery? I don't know what to do---needing advice---Thank you

I don't like having to wait so long

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Firstly, thats a pretty ling wait for surgery, strange they cant get you in any quicker.

Anyways, all i can tell you is as a diabetic myself, i had foot and ankle surgery back in May for various fractures, after which i was in cast 78 days our bones heal slightly slower as diabetics so maybe you can expect something similar, although my cast coming off was also influenced by a fracture on my other foot taking ages to heal on its own.

Listen good luck with post surgery, there are different phases you need to go through so stay posted and getting feedback from us horrible lot that had to endure it before you.

• Posted

By then most breaks would heal themselves (bones take 6 weeks to heal) so I would be a little worried that it would heal wrong before surgery! Any other hospitals nearby you could get surgery at earlier? I broke my leg on October 23rd with surgery on October 31st, mine has been healed good enough for me to be walking on it already. But I would definitely ask your doctor as well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.