Dementia - early stages

Posted , 11 users are following.

I find that I can get no help, advice or training on how best to support my wife with the early stages of Alzheimers. So far the most stressful period was when I believed she was suffering from dementia - there were indications in 8 of the common symptoms.

For months our GP and my wife's mental health team refused to speak to me. It was only when I attended the same Pdsychiatrist for severe depression that he told me my wife had dementia - Alzheimers - that this stress was eased. My wife has not yet been told of the diagnosis and believes my concern is just a sympton of my Anxiety and Depression (now well controlled with medication and therapy).

At present I just make my wife as happy as possible, never argue with her, follow her somewhat chaotic decisions and over-rule where the result would be unacceptable. I have no idea if such a policy is the best or not.

A further problem is that we are not preparing ourselves for the future. Downward progress is slow but noticeable to me.

I should be grateful to learn of others' experiences and wisdom on this early stage. On the whole the house works tollerably well and we remain a happy couple.

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My mother went thru the various stages of dementia, then Alzheimer's .

it really hard to cope. There are groups at the hospitals I attended that helped me cope and with tools to deal with mood changes and anger issues.

• Posted

Dear Hope4cure,

Thank you for your kind advice. I am sorry I have taken so long to reply.

• Posted

You are doing everthing possible. Patience is really hard sometimes and you seem to care enough to do what you need to do to keep the peace and thru reasonable expectations.

this is a stage to enjoy really. It may sounds a bit chaotic but there will be days in the future will be very difficult and show her you care now as hard as it can be . it's hard to know what you are coping with too.

my mom had it and it took her so fast. My joyous moments were laying on the bed every day with her as she could remember her childhood and the stories I will always cherish.

• Posted

Thank you very much for your encouragement. Most times she is very sweet; at other brusk and rather rude. Odd enthusiasms are followed by neglect. There are tasks she avoids as fine manipulation is difficult for her. The roller coaster is quite heavy on my emotions. She frequently complains that she is going down with a cold or virus but it never comes to anything. The GP has not found any problems with blood tests. I now suspect it is dementia that is interfering with he sense of well being. I have not read of such but I suppose it must be possible. The downward progress is now obvious to me month by month. No one has remarked on it and the family seldom mention the dementia.

On the whole we still get on well. She likes me to be with her and she still visits friends but she says she does not always find the visits easy.. She is very effusive with them face to face and on the phone. She also likes me to sit and hold her hand. So that is all to the good.  

Again, many thanks for your encouragement. I am so sorry you lost your mum from dementia. I am grateful to profit from your experience.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that It makes me sad to here of what your wife has been diagnosed sad I hope that everything will get well for here. But I advice you before it's too late to try and give here a GPS tracker to locate if ever she gets out of your way. Better safe than sorry. I am very sorry to hear that sad God bless hope things will get better soon.

• Posted

I think the precautions at early stage of Alzheimers can control it to a great extent. Having antioxidants rich food like green vegetables, fruits, maple syrup etc can help the patient against the disorder.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.