Dental Abscess drained but still hurting

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting. Anyways, here is my story.

About 3 weeks ago, I had an abscess on my first molar on the left side. I randomly felt like I had the flu. Laid in bed with a fever, body aches and the chills. Next thing I knew, I was in agony. I had a cavity and I quickly realized that I had an abscess (because of all the horror stories I had heard). The dentist began a root canal on me when the antibiotics I was prescribed starting working. She temporarily filled the tooth as we waited to see if my insurance would cover the rest of the root canal. I felt almost 90% better.

Fast forward to this Sunday (yesterday). I had an appointment set and ready for Monday to finish the work. All of a sudden on Sunday night, I took a look in the mirror and noticed my face was swelling. It seemed to be happening pretty fast. From my cheek near my eye to my chin. And it was getting difficult to swallow. So I called up the emergency line for my dentist and was told to go to the ER. I went and they have me IV antibiotics, anti inflammatory and painkillers. I felt way better and the swelling was getting better. They monitored me for a little while and eventually discharged me since they knew I would be at the dentist soon.

I woke up with my face swollen again. Got to the dentist and she said that she would not be able to finish the root canal because of the infection and swelling. But she attempted to numb me (didn't work) and I cried and felt like I was in the movie Saw as she drilled into my tooth to clean it out and put antibiotics directly into it. Also, she sliced open my gums for the abscess to drain. From everything I read, this was supposed to be the amazing moment of relief. However, to my horror, once I got home it felt like someone was stabbing me in the mouth. The pain was so horrible that I really don't know how to properly describe it. And in addition, I threw up. So now I have an open wound in my mouth that is supposed to be draining. But, I am in SO much pain. The only reason I can even type this is because I'm on a decent amount of pain medicine. And it's actually still really painful.

Anyways, sorry for being so dramatic. I came to this site hoping that someone could give me some pain management advice. Or to see if anyone else experienced such terrible pain after the abscess was drained. I was under the impression I was supposed to feel a relief of pressure. I don't feel that at all. If anything, it feels like a bigger buildup of pressure. Has anyone experienced this before? And are there any tricks to help me? My face is still pretty swollen and I'm a little nervous because I don't want this infection to become something more serious. I go back pro the dentist on Wednesday to finish my procedure. I'm considering just asking her to extract the tooth all together. I'm scared of going through this again. Any advice?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Mabe if the tooth can't be saved as the dentist is trying to everthing possible to do that it may need to be removed. It's no fun I have been thru a couple myself and some we have saved and others not that lucky. Usually the abscess tooth had a crack in the root found during root canal causing leakage theu to the gums and abscess the only alternative was to remove it was also warned that it could cause bone damage. 

Sorry you have been thru so much pain. Wow I am with you on the pain issue and your not dramatic at all. It can be a traumatic experience as you have described.Abscess teeth are so painful and they are difficult to control if root canal doesn't help as in my case the tooth was removed.

I asked for gas plus injection when the tooth was pulled, a lot less traumatic. And I was so glad to get it out, it went on for months. I have a bridge and you can't even tell a tooth was missing. Many choose implants, just cost way too much for me to replace one tooth.   Ask for alternatives for treatments and solutions. 

Take care hope it works out for you.

• Posted

Thank you for the response. I am thinking of just asking for the tooth to be removed. I know it's good to be able to save a tooth if you can. But, I really can't imagine going through this again! Thanks again!

• Posted

Good luck and who knows maybe the tooth fairy will leave you a little gift.😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.