Dental crowns resulting in ROOT CANALS. What causes this?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I understand that there is "trauma" done to the tooth during a crown procedure, which could make the tooth unstable and require a root canal.  I recently had TWO crowns done at the same time, and -- low and behold -- BOTH immediately needed root canals.  MY QUESTIONS -- 1.) How common is it for a recently crowned tooth to suddenly become unstable?   2.)  Could this phenomenon be the result of something the DENTIST is doing -- that is, the WAY they are performing the crown??  Are they possibly drilling a little too hard -- being a little too rough -- causing trauma to the tooth in some way?   Is it possible that it is the dentist's fault??

Please give any opinions on this.  I am tired of getting crowns done, and then just expecting that I will soon need a root canal on same tooth.  It doesn't seem right.  

Please send any thoughts on this..........  thank you!   

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had all my teeth crowned when I was 13 years old, but a number were replaced with other crowns when they were worn out, as in those days they were Plastic, Porcelain and other materials and I was about 40 when I had my first root canal. Am now 74 and going for some implants this week as some of the roots are beginning to fail and I don't want any more root canals as well.  I know it is expensive but I cannot wear Dentures due to my bite, but I do not think root canals are tied to crowns, only the condition of your tooth root.

• Posted

Two at the same time?  Yikes.  I've heard this chain reaction can be true.  It happened to me.  Of course, I never did find out whether or not it was the dentists faut.  I switched dentists.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.