Dental implant - Advice and experience

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi!

2 root canals, 1 abscess and now a fractured root later I've been told my tooth needs to be removed and as it's one at the front an implant has been advised.

I've never had anything like this done before so would appreciated everyone's experiences and advice and if you know of someone who does this in the London area with a good reputation please let me know!

Thanks!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi had my front tooth done last year its been successful. Had a plate initially which i hated. Wouldnt be afraid to do it again.I,m in Bristol so cant recommend you anyone but if you can afford it go for it    steve
    • Posted

I'm a nervous dental patient so I worry about the pain of it? More so all the drilling etc.

We're you sore after? Can I ask how much you paid on yours?

Thanks!

• Posted

i,m nervous too with dentists. There was an option of sedation but i didnt take it obviously more cost. Only the intial injections were painful. Was sore for about 2 days after implant in jawbone and stitches for a week. I paid £2000. 
    • Posted

I think I would have to opt for sedation. It's all the drilling that makes me anxious. Did you have your tooth removed on the same day?

I didn't realise there were stitches - I assume these were the dissolvable ones?

Sorry for all the questions!!

• Posted

Hi, I Nhad an implant that didn't work, but only because the dentist didn't use antibiotics for a week after to help control potential infections. When you find a dentist, ask them lots of questions about their protocol re antibiotics, xrays, ct scans etc. Some implants are easier than others, but I am hoping to have another with a different dentist. 

The actual implant procedure wasn't as bad as I feared actually. I had a molar out at the same time and that's what took all the time as it was a multi rooted tooth that fractured on the way out. The implant itself was actually ok. Not much different to a root filling (if you've coped with that then this will be fine). In fact, I found it easier that that as root fillings need rubber dams and I'm not a fan of those. After the implant I didn't even have to take pain relief the same night.

also find out if the dentist has implant failure insurance. My new dentist does. You have to pay a bit more, but the first year you are covered against failure.

• Posted

oh, and get the dentist to do the palatal injections really really really slowly - that way they barely hurt at all. So slowly in fact you might think they've fallen asleep while they are giving them. That's the trick with palatal injections. From someone who has had good and bad ones and questioned why the difference!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.