dental infection

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi i am under a private dentist and had a filling 3 weeks ago, since then i have had really bad jaw ache. I went back this week as had an appointment for another small replacement filling, they investigated the original tooth and thought the pain was done to exposed route and put a filling over the side of the tooth. The pain is now really bad in the jaw and the 2nd tooth they filled this week has now developed an abscess over the injection point. This has burst and im in a load of pain, any ideas what could do this. I've never had problems after fillings before and not sure what to do as the costs are high.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kermitt. I'm no expert but if I were you I'd go back. It doesn't sound as though your dentist has done a great job. If there are other dentists in the practice I would ask to see one of them. I had to swap once as I had no confidence in the new person I was allotted when my original dentist retired. The practice changed me over without fuss. As you are paying privately you are entitled to receive good treatment. I don't know where you would stand re: costs but if something has to be redone I don't see why you should pay twice.
    • Posted

Thanks for the responce Judyb not having a great time of it, went back today and she basically questioned whether I had burned my mouth. I said I couldn't eat or drink and then she agree that the swelling and puss could have been from the injection and bacteria etc.  She doesnt think its an absvcess. She had a look at the other tooth and took x-ray didn't see an abscess but think root canal is the best thing.  This will cost me £625 if I want it done!  She has given me amoxicillin and metronidazole for a week!

In absolute agony and don't really want to spen another £625 when I never had any pain in the first place.  I still have an NHS dentist but doubt they would see me as this wasnt caused by them.  Gutted and cant think straight.

• Posted

Well I think I would go to the NHS dentist. I really don't think much of your private dentist. If you are registered with the NHS I'm sure they wouldn't refuse to treat you but why not ring for an appointment and say you think you might have an abscess. They won't know what's caused the infection but if you really need a root canal you should get it far cheaper through them.
    • Posted

Thanks for the support mate, had another bad night the gum is now srarting to hurt and the pain is in my ete, ear and temple. Luckly got some codine from a mtb crash a few years back. Stillmin date, they help but only takes the edge off. Will keep on the antibiotics but gonna call the emergency dentist andcsee if they will pull it before im too swollen. Its a long shot but praying they will see me. Hate my kids seeing me like this and with bankholiday it should be fun times not this.
    • Posted

No problem Kermitt. With a bit of luck the antibiotics will begin to work soon. It's crap feeling like this over a holiday - bad enough any time. Hope it turns out well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.