Dental infection agony.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Trying to cope with dental infection pain.

So thursday arrives n a sip of coffe jerks up my tooth n bites. Cue throbbing pain.

Friday wake up insubstantial pain. But im a tuff ol cookie with a todo list so grab cocodamol n ibuprofen n get too it. But only just.

Back to Saturday.. wake up to the most Blistering pain I have ever had my tooth is pulsating my face has swollen from about an inch below my eye to my ear down to my lower jaw and increased in thickness on my cheek least double.

This is pain like I have never felt.

so being Saturday off we trained or to the emergency dentist which just so happens to be on the other side of of the city.

I am cleaned up I am giving an anaesthetic told that I have got an abscess that looks like it might have first at the moment offer x rates infection has actually spread to the inside of my face. I am cleaned up old filling removed temporary filling put in served a dose of antibiotics and sent on my way

( now if any of your struggling to visualise exactly what I look like at this point for those of you that have watched Harry Potter there's a part in one of the movies where he is cursed in the face and it all swells up and distorts yep that's what I look like.

If I travel home the pain is going nowhere fast I know I've got at least two days until the antibiotics kick in I've been given any problem with this is what letter given the pain is getting worse so this brings me into Saturday night and finally I pass out at 2 o'clock in the morning I wake up an hour later to a mouth full of blood and puss my irritating habit of grinding my teeth in my sleep has finally done something useful and has burst part of my gum which is allowing it to drain albe it in my mouth. I spend the next 5 hours spitting and spluttering and pressing on my cheek to encourage as much of the infection out while we're still draining the pain is easing if not changing to a constant throb so here I am on Monday still draining to a degree and now having to wait three weeks till I can get the dentist again due to their availability not mine I've only got one day's worth of antibiotics left I've still got massive swelling on my face and I've got pain that comes and goes like I just can't process.

I've got the point now I was going to have root canal but right now I just don't want the bugger out!!

But how do I cope with the pain in the meantime???

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I totally empathize with your pain.  I had an infected implant (or below) pulled out shortly after I had pain as you put it, have never felt before.  I don't think I need to described it to you.  It's intolerable.  

Even though my perio stitched it up and it's supposed to be healing, it's still here, sometimes still very very bad just when I think it's getting better.

I can't have root canal because there is not tooth there!   I've had 2 rounds of antibiotics and it did not help much.  Then the perio told me it could take up to 4-6 weeks to heal - it's getting to that time, and still I[m in pain. 

My Dr. Is prescribing me a strong narcotic for relief but I'm very careful with them because I don't want to strart depending on them.  People always say, keep rinsing with warm water..but when you're in that much pain, it doesn't really do much.  

I'm forgetting who I was before all this pain.

• Posted

Have you tried taking a sinus medication? It could be a sinus problem with the way you described the pain. That was my problem years ago. I went to the dentist 3 times and he kept saying nothing is wrong. I had to beg him to pull the tooth and the pain continued...the whole left side of my face. He never mentioned sinus, but my mother in law dental assistant happened to stop by to see us and asked if I had some sinus medication and I did...within 15 minutes no pain-but my tooth was gone.

Try brushing with coconut oil...I use the Nutiva organic virgin oil. I had an infection just this past week and took antibiotics for 10 days. My temporary bridge had come out and they glued it back in and next morning my cheek was all puffy...no pain. I have used the Nutiva coconut oil for at least the past 2 years and my dentist always comments on how clean my mouth is. There is also a technique called oil pulling that you can research.

Good luck to you.

• Posted

Is it possible to diagnose sinus infection?

Or do you just take medication to see if it works.  My Dr. Suggested that it may be that and to ask my periodontist.

How do you know if it is or isn't?

• Posted

You just take the sinus medication to see if it works. I took one called Sine Off. Since you are taking antibiotics or narcotics I would ask the pharmacist if it's okay to take together because it contains acetaminophen.

?I am supposed to be getting a root canal, but I've heard so many bad things about them that I am ready to spend the extra money to get the tooth pulled and get an implant. I am going next week to another dentist for a second opinion.

?I hope you are soon out of pain.

• Posted

Mine was fairly obvious on one side of my nose on my cheek.

Is main source with swelling.

But the dentist was easy and quick to confirm.

• Posted

I had to have an implant pulled to get to below where my infection is/was (I hope).  I've gone through the worst pain I've ever had (I know many will empathize)....when I went to the periodontist to check on  healing 2 weeks ago, he said it's healing but it's gonna take about 4-6 weeks.  For anyone in pain - that's insane.

A week later and after taking 2 rounds of amoxicillin, my cheek swelled up again - back to the dentist.  i got a CT scan and on of the dentist told me that the area under the tooth that was pulled was filled with something (maybe pus) which was causing a lot of the pain.  He saw this on a CT scan

So Friday I had another very painful procedure..I mean it hurt to even open my mouth much less get more shots before the procedure.  After a lot of scraping; then restitching I went home and collapsed.  The next day, the pain had subsided - not completely, but definitely an improvement.  But I'm so afraid the pain will start all over as it has before.  I can't stand the thought of having yet another procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.