Dental work after TKR?

Posted , 10 users are following.

My surgeon told me that I need to take antibiotics after any dental work to ensure no infection goes through to my TKR. Has anyone else had to do this? Did I understand correctly? Has anyone had any adverse reactions to having had dental work done following TKR? How long should I wait before going to the Dentist? Thanks for any advice.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've heard you should actually start a couple of days before the dental procedure!  On the other hand, you also read articles (an official Canadian one I read) which said that infection from dental work was pretty much non existent.  Personally, I would prefer to be well protected with antibiotics!  Aparently urine infections are also a big problem, and my surgeon said avoid chiropodists like the plague . . . but he does have some funny ideas, I must admit. . . . . 
    • Posted

Yes I read that Canadian article as well. Not sure about urine infections going to the knee and certainly my GPS will not routinely prescribe antibiotics for them anymore.
    • Posted

OFG's problem was apparently caused by a urine infection . . . that was what my surgeon warned me about most strongly, so I keep the right antibiotic at home so I can start taking it immediately if I have a problem.  TheCanadian article, I think was worrying about the effect of the amount of antibiotics (and the cost) being prescribed for every TKR patient who was undergoing dental work . . but when it's your knee it's difficult to consider the geral good as opposed to the personal good!  As for urine infections, since I've been taking American Cranberry tablets, I've been ok . . . 
  • Posted

My surgeon said the same, also he would prefer me to wait 6 mths before any extractions if possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.