Dental work needs doing! What to look out for after TKR?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Can someone please tell me what to expect when having dental work done?

I'm 3 months post TKR and have just found decay, which may need filling or extraction (its quite bad) ... What happens if it gets infected and how would that affect my prosthesis?

Thanks,

Lindy

2 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Lindy. I'm going to the dentist tomorrow for my first appointment in nearly 30 years! I have toothache so extractions are likely to follow. I've read up about the risk of infection and many medical sources state that antibiotics aren't necessary. I've asked my dentist and I'm awaiting a response but if in doubt, I'll phone my GP first. A lot of scaremongering can take place on some issues like this. I had to take antibiotics a couple of years ago before having a prostate partial biopsy, and this was to counter risk of infection due to the invasive procedure. If in doubt, speak to your GP and dentist! Good luck!
    • Posted

I don't think something as serious as an infection is scare mongering, people are giving their experiences to help try and prevent something so awful happening to another person. 

An infection is not like having the flu or a little ache, it is actually extremely painful and a very long road to recovery if you recover. Then not to mention all the aspirations you have to have to make sure the joint is clean. 

A friend of mine fell in a car park she broke her wrist, had surgery to pin it. No antibiotics she got an infection, the wrist was ok, but it got her knee. She had to have it taken out, so they did that, but on the table she had a stroke, and now no one is willing to re do it, she is 62 so not that old...now without a knee. 

Antibiotics ? Yes I think so.

• Posted

We had to have clearance from the dentist before they would do the joint.
  • Posted

Unless you are allergic to antibiotics, it really seems strange to have any invasive procedure without taking them, given that infection affecting the joint is a very serious condition, as OFG can tell us!  And it is not that rare . . I know personally of two, including OFG, and one here in Tenerife.  I just can't see why it would be worth taking the risk, however small that risk may be, when a few antibiotics could possibly help to avoid it.  It's not really much trouble or danger to take some antibiotics. . .  
    • Posted

Exactly, and it isn't the dentist or the GP that are going to be suffering, also the other point is that this gets thrown around so many times in the 22 years I've had joints yes you do no you dont, and while they are arguing back and forth. I have 3 friends, who have lost multiple joints from infection. I will take them regardless what they say. Thankfully my shoulder surgeon says yes so I can get it from him. But the knee guy says no the hip guy says yes ""so try and figure that out.
  • Posted

I saw my doctor today for my 3 months check up and asked him about this. I have to wait at least 6 months after surgery, before seeing the dentist. Then it's antibiotics for any dental proceedure for the rest of my life. I think most replacements, hip, knee, etc are this way.
    • Posted

Only thing I'd say is what if you have unbearable toothache? You can't wait for six months for that surely? There is a clear conflict of opinion and much of medical opinion on this subject. If I ask a professional such as a dentist if I need to take antibiotics and they say no, what else can I do?
    • Posted

I asked the surgeon who did my TKR and he said adamantly, that I needed antibiotics for ANY dental procedure. My dentist and GP weren't sure...so go figure. As for me, I wouldn't take the chance. What someone else might do is their choice. Good luck! 
    • Posted

Usually if you have unbearable toothache it's because you have an infected tooth, hence the need for antibiotics.  In reply to your question 'what else can I do' you could ask the surgeon who did your TKR.  But as I said previously, it's your decision, your knee.   Good luck at the dentist's. i hate going there myself, but sometimes there is no alternative!
  • Posted

Just to follow up, I saw my dentist yesterday and asked him directly about antibiotics. He said it wasn't necessary. I'm supposed to get an extraction today or tomorrow. It is difficult when there is conflicting advice, which there is on the internet on this subject. I've had enough medication over the last nine weeks to last me a lifetime lol!
    • Posted

I feel the same as you dode re meds .. horrible things! So you're only 9 weeks post TKR and no more antibiotics are necessary? 

Wow, such conflicting advice as you say!

• Posted

Final feedback regarding dental treatment. I have spoken to both my dentist and GP and both state emphatically that there is no need to have antibiotics before or after a tooth extraction. 2 out of 2 ain't bad, to parody the song.....
    • Posted

I  would have thought the man to ask would be the surgeon who did the op?  Dentists and GP's may not be so aware of possible problems.  I have read a Canadian report which states there are no proven cases of tooth infection causing joint infection, but then again yesterday I read a long report stating that tooth infection can cause heart attacks and cancer . . so   it seems best to avoid any sort of infection not just because of our shiny new knees. . . .
    • Posted

....and others (my surgeon and infectious disease doc and the staff at the medical school where I go) disagree with that adamantly as well as my old dentist and the young guy that just bought the practice. I can tell you personally, after having 16 weeks of antibiotic infusions, my knee opened 3 times and a third prosthesis, 3 complete rehabs and being very, very sick, if it's the choice of taking a couple of antibiotics capsules or having to face any part of the other you can bet which option I'll take. The risk just isn't worth it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.