Dental work today ATN/TN so alone

Posted , 6 users are following.

I guess havent posted in the TNA network in long enough and now when I really need some help I have to wait for someone to approve me in a private group.  I have ATN & TN on right side. Just had hours of dental work on right side bc shocker, my teeth are awful over there. I'm DYING. Diagnosed in early 20s & put on all nerve meds & disgusting amount of opiates which I've been off of for 5 years. I lost all my friends. Everyone thinks I'm a loser junkie and yes opiates played a HUGE role in my dissapearance/lack of interest in friends lives but so did the TN. In the 5 "sober" years it's not like i truly got my friends back. Nobody gets how much it hurts. I woke up from nap after dentist to not a single message, anything. I feel like I might as well be on massive amounts of fentanyl and OxyContin right now bc I'm still alone as ever but I'm just in more pain. I'm totally feeling sorry for myself right now & I'm sorry to be the new girl saying what I'm sure everyone else is saying all the time on this site but I needed to reach out to SOMEONE who knows how hard this is. This pain is just so unbearable I hate what this disease has done to my life and I just needed to share that before I lose it entierely 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry Sarah! Yes... I've become a hermit also! I own a bar and I can count on one hand how many times I've been there in a year and a half. Unfortunately opiods and such doesn't work on my pain... all I have is Gabapinten and can't take more than 600mg at a time, 3 times a day or my body freaks out! I've pre-admitted this morning for my 3rd Surgery which will be on this Thursday. They will cut from the outside under my jaw (right side) thru my jaw bone and clip the Inferior Alveolar nerve at the base of my skull. A dentist drilled thru my tooth doing a routine root canal and inserted sealant thru the hole encapsulating the main nerve in my face. It chemically killed the IA nerve. Dr's here at LSU attempted to replace a 2 1/2 inch section of nerve with a cadaver nerve (7 hour surgery) ... after 9 months pain was worse so they went in again and clipped it completely BUT they didn't cut high enough which brings us to this surgery.... I should say After seeing extensive neurologist, neurosurgeons, maxillofacial, micro surgeons and you name it, they all recommend this surgery so fingers and toes crossed. You DO find out who your true friends really are! Good Luck. Don't give up till someone listens!!

• Posted

Thanks for your response! I'm really having a day & needed SOMEONE like you who understands. I'm sorry you're having such a hard time too. Good luck on your surgery!!! I'll be sending u positive energy. 

Opiates  honestly didn't help that much with the pain, I realize now that I've been off them, but I was prescribed them at such a young age & you get physically addicted so quickly; I was convinced that my pain would be EVEN worse without them. The 1st neurologist I saw gave me percocet; by the 4th I was on opiates 500X stronger than my grandparents were given in hospice (visiting them in their last days made me realize how ridiculous it had become).

Everything I've ever read say opiates don't help with TN (or nerve pain at all) but they do like to shell them out! Problem is, I like the way they make me feel and sometimes forget, just a little. 

That's part of the reason I've been shunned...I'm still here w/o all the opiates; so of course I must have been playing up the ATN/TN for drugs & its really not THAT bad.

I needed to vent to SOMEONE who realizes it is INTOLERABLE, especially having ATN & TN. 

Now I take 800 mgs of neueontin 3x day (I honestly don't even know if it works anymore) & Horizant ER-a long acting neueontin. I've been on tegrerol, trileptol, lyrica...all the nerve pain standars. Neurontin is the only one that doesnt have unbearable side effects. I recently started anti anxiety medications again too that do help with my freak outs. 

I've probably seen at least 50 neurologists & I've had 2 MVDs....the 2nd one gave me relief for about 3 wks.

I attempt to live positively every day & TRY TRY TRY to realize you're right, they weren't true friends....but they were the only ones I had....I find it so hard to connect now. Thank u for being there during a huge meltdown. I really hope your surgery works. 

• Posted

YES!!! I've tried every single drug you mentioned and it was always back to, or reduced back down to just Gabapinten. It is VERY frustrating to be in pain everyday 24/7. The thing is that it's not visible to anyone else so in there eyes it's not there. I think only the ones that actually understand are the ones that experience the pain first hand. I get depressed also, it's hard not to under these circumstances. Thanks for the prayers and right back at ya! :-)

• Posted

Hi Cajun, (I'm new to this forum so bear with me as I try to catch up).

How was your surgery? How are you 6 months later? Did they clip the Inferior Alveolare nerve? Is that the surgery you said all the extended list of doctors and surgeons you saw recommended?

I have been on carbamazepine for 10 years and it has been pretty effective until recently. I have doubled my dose (now 1200 mg daily) and am worried that soon that won't work either.

Chrystie

Chrystie

• Posted

Morning Sarah 

I've just read your post and you absolutely aren't alone. We all know exactly how you feel re the pain and how utterly miserable it makes our lives.  People do not understand what agony we put up with, even to try and talk at times is unbearable. Occasionally I speak like a ventriloquist,  not an attractive look!  

Ive just had another rubbish night with very little sleep. The only thing I can do when I have a constant pain is to blow my cheek out for as long as I can bear and then deflate. I find this takes the pain away for a bit. Must have done this a dozen times but it does stop the pain, for me. I've had it 16 years but I've decided not to go down the surgery route as in my eyes it's better the devil you know.  

Please don't feel alone as you're not, we're all in this together. Hoping for a better day!! 

Paula xx

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your support at a time when I desperately needed it. I know you all know are also feeling awful so i very much appreciate you taking time to help lift me up. Glad I found this place!!!! 
  • Posted

Sarah I know what you're going through. Here is my story.

I've been suffering for 13 years.  I was only diagnosed in 2016.  Until then I had no idea what was wrong with me.  All I knew was I was in horrible pain.  I have ATN on my left side  the pain starts in my left ear and moves into my face.  It's not the sharp stabbing electric shock pain alot of people get.  Mine is one long pain that lasts for a good 15 hours. It feels like someone is driving an ice pick into my ear and face. Sleep is impossible,  it's torture.   

When I was finally diagnosed I started to see a neurologist.  He started me on Carbamezapine with Lyrica added in for extreme pain.  My attacks spaced out alot with the meds but as a trade off I was constantly nauseous.   I got so I couldn't eat and had to miss some work I was so horribly nauseated.  The doctor said to cut back my dose and I did,  the nausea eased up.  

I live in a state where medical marijuana is legal so I went to see a MMJ doctor.  I wanted to learn about a natural solution since I feel the meds are a temporary band aid at best.  He directed me to a natural pain salve and CBD oil

I am now completely off my meds.  I take a dose of CBD oil in the morning and evening and if I get an attack.  Last night I started to get one right after I got into bed, it was full strength so I grabbed my salve and put it on my ear and face where the pain was.  I took a dose of CBD oil, within 10 minutes the pain had stopped and I was able to get to sleep. 

Sarah I can not say enough about the CBD oil it has been a major , major help to me.  It is available online to order, it does not have THC in it so it is legal to buy anywhere.   Do a little research first and make sure you're getting ti from a reliable source.   Stay strong, you're not alone.  

• Posted

THE ICE PICK! I use this all the time when trying to explain how it feels.  I live in in Northern VA--literally like 10 min outside of DC but med MJ is NOT legal in VA and sadly, I got in trouble once after getting in a fender bender and I had MJ with me...of course the K9 unit responded to someone rear ending me!!!! So I am super careful about the legalities now b/c now its even HARDER to find a job that is sensitive to the TN and willing to let my record go.  My DR wants me to move to DC but he thinks that if I were to get caught with CBD oil it would be an issue...despite all my med records and everything the first time he still thinks it could be a grey area...I should just bite the bullet (if I had the $$$ and move 3 miles already!!!!!) 

• Posted

Hi sarah i also suffer with ATN left side but during flares I sometimes have it on my rigth side aswell , pain i so bad i had it for a year now after a accident injury to my head also have occipital neuraligia, i just turned 32 and lost all my friends and work everything but i dont think of that often i just want to be me again so i try my best and researching best treatments options and wat cab i do just to be out of this awful pain , iam sorry your suffering with this condition hope there will be relife from the pain some how please get in touch with me 

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Oh Sarah that is so terrible!! I understand! I was diagnosed 10 years ago and recently found carbamazepine less effective. I am looking into balloon rhizotomy. Have you tried another procedure? The opiates are terrible.

Chrystie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.