Dentist anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. I am sure I am probably being really silly but I suffer from very extreme health anxiety so it's not silly to me. Basically to cut a long story short I am having a wisdom tooth out tomorrow at the dentist and I am absolutely terrified! Dentists don't bother me in general I don't have a fear of them but my anxiety is telling me I am either gonna die in the chair or bleed to death later. I really need people's advice thank you

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I know its easier said than done Lorna but you just have to keep calm control your breathing.

Dentists do this every day You will be fine

Stay Strongcry

• Posted

hi, Lorna..if you have any Xanax or any kind of anxiety meds just take one before you go...You will be fine, and you will find that it isn't as scary as you think.  It will be over before you know it....Hope this helps....
    • Posted

Dont think taking any drugs before you get an anisthetic is a good idea
  • Posted

Well, I used to work at a hospital for people with dental problems, and not one of them bled to death.

Are you having an anaesthetic - if you are, then there will be a health professional there who will ensure that you don't die in the chair.

let us know how it went, love Tess

• Posted

Hi thanks for your replies. It turns out I chickened out! Rebooked it for Tuesday and I will definitely be going this time! I'm also really worried about dry socket and the pain if it happened!
    • Posted

i had dry socket after an extraction once. Yes, it's painful but not life-threatening. Smoking makes you more likely to get it.

bear in mind that most people don't get dry socket!!!

Good luck with the next appointment. love Tess

• Posted

Hi thank for your reply. Yes I am aware dry socket is not life threatening just dreading the pain plus I am a smoker! Big wimp haha x
  • Posted

They can put you in a twilight sleep, or even just laughing gas. Its fast and easy and done constantly a ton of times a day. Follow the icing it and directions after its done and within a week youll be good to go. We have went through many of these in my house over the past few years everyone came through it well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.