Dentist shifted three teeth

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a tooth pulled 4 days ago and the dentist shifted 3 of my teeth over to the point that my left canine is overlapping the tooth next to it. Is this permanent and what should I do about it? Sorta

Worried about going back to the same dentist.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It sure doesn't sound normal.  I too would be concerned about going back to the same dentist.  That being said, if your tooth is overlapping another, it seems like that could be permanent is something isn't done to correct it sooner rather than later, as later may be too late.  I would go at least go back to that dentist to hear what he/she has to say about the situation.  If you don't like the answer, contact the ADA to see if they can help you get your problem resolved.

• Posted

Hi Roger,

I think it depends on why the teeth moved. I can't quite picture how your teeth got pushed so far over that one overlaps another.

The only crumb of optimism I can offer is that our teeth can move around quite freely, even well into adult life, so I'm guessing there's some hope that the teeth will move back to where they're supposed to be.

My reason for saying this is something that happened to me at the age of 48. I had to have the second upper molar removed for a highly complex dental problem. The oral surgeon who removed the tooth had quite a tussle getting it out, as it had ankylosed into the socket. This left the wisdom tooth behind it very loose (it was moving about) and he wanted to remove this at the same time. However, I've always been one for hanging on to as much of myself as possible so I decided to wait and see what happened. Over the next year the wisdom tooth not only tightened up completely in its socket, it actually moved forward to into the gap left by the extracted tooth. And it's still stable and viable now, 25 years later. Until this experience I wouldn't have believed this was possible so late in life, so I think there's every hope your displaced teeth might move back.

I'd say consult another dentist anyway, and right away, but don't be in too much of a hurry to accept any aggressive treatment he/she offers. After all, dentists aren't in business to tell people they don't need any treatment! Unless you're in a lot of pain, wait and see what happens over the coming weeks and months.

• Posted

That's for the replies. The dentist had such a hard time trying to get it out that it took her about 30 min to do. She was about to split the gum but it gave way.

Trying to get it out, I could feel her going in a round and round motion and using a lot of pressure on one side then another trying to get it to come loose. This is when I believe that she pushed the other teeth forward.

My teeth and jaw hurt, but it's tolerable with some 800mg ibuprofen. But the worst of it is that it feels weird and that's annoying. It would be nice if they went back into place, but I'm not sold on the idea.

• Posted

Given what you've just told me, I think they will go back into place, but it will take a few months. By all means see another dentist, but don't get sucked into any additional treatment too early. The displaced teeth aren't in any danger right now - teeth are amazingly resilient. But they might be if heavy-handed treatments are put in place by another dentist.

My advice remains the same. Get a second opinion, but wait for a while to see what happens. If the teeth have been irreparably damaged it makes no difference whether you act now or later.

It's perfectly normal that you'd still be having generalised pain after a traumatic extraction like that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.