Deodorant after armpit I&D?

Posted , 4 users are following.

3 days ago, I was diagnosed with HS at the same time I had an abscess in my armpit drained. The wound is still open, obviously, and the incision is right in the crease of my arm. I have to work tomorrow, and I sweat a lot at work, I don't want to smell bad because I work with and around a lot of people. I read, somewhere, that HS sufferers should avoid using deodorants and antiperspirants altogether because they can cause flair-ups. One recommendation was to use isopropyl alcohol instead of deodorant. Does anyone do this, does it actually work? Also, if I keep the alcohol away from the wound so it doesn't mess with the healing, would this be a safe option for me? My only other idea is to put gauze back on it, and spray the crap out of the armpit of the shirt I'm going to wear with perfume/body spray

Thanks in advance for any advice!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I don't think you should put anything on that could get into the open wound area. Please discuss this with your doctor. After the wound is closed, I think Lume unscented cream deodorant is a good choice.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about what your going through. i too have an open wound. I will tell you what i use and maybe that can help you. First I clean the area when I am in the shower. Once i am dried off I use Bactine antibiotic spray. it does not burn. then i use the 4x4 inch gauze squares and some type of medical tape . I tape the whole armpit with one of those squares. You can use two since you are working. i dont use any deodorant but if you need try some coconut oil and baking soda mix.

• Posted

Gauze up good attach with paper tape. Spray inside of shirt I guess. When I had surgery I skipped deoderant

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.