Depersonalisation and Glandular Fever?!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I'm new to this so hope I am posting on the right section. I have always suffered panics and occational depersonalisation but where it can be managed! From October last year It has gotten really bad...Where the 'Depersonalization/Dissociation' has been constant and not much relief from it! I am getting worried that it must be something else! So I am looking for reasurance that others have had this too! I have been back and forth to the Drs Since Its became worse in October! Originally starting from being run down (I have just found out this last month I have had Glanular Fever!!) I find it really hard to explain how I feel and wondered if the Glandular Fever can cause these feelings. I feel very detached from my life and my body! Feel like I dont recognise my life or people close to me! like I have just lost my identity and everything isnt real and made it! It even feels funny to be a person!! As crazy as that sounds! Before the glandular fever result I was attending private phychotherapy and had been prescribed Citalopram by the Dr. I didnt take to the medication as feel the feelings get worse and they already are very scary! I was just hoping for reasurance that this will go or if there is anything I can do to get my life back?! It's made me stop driving & I barely go out! Can Glandular Fever cause this? 

Thank You 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Hayley. So sorry you aren't well. I don't think Glandular Fever can be the cause on your depersonalisation as you put it. It can however make you feel very week and very tired.  You say the depersonalisation became worse last October. Is this when you go run down as you put it. Were you hospitalised then or just kept in over night? If you want my opinion for what it is worth. I think you need to go back to your GP and see what alternative medication he can prescribe for you as it is obvious from your post that you get extremely anxious and you need medication to help control this. It might be helpful if the doctor can recommend a psychiatrist for you. I've attend an NHS psychiatrist myself and he was very good. Alternatively how about group therapy as it is the anxiety that is preventing you from doing things, such as not going out. Getting run down is a life changing event and you may even be depressed as well as anxious. Please go back to your GP and say you need more help. Post here how you get on.
    • Posted

Hello, 

Thank you ever so much for your reply. Sorry, I meant 'run down' as in now well (under the weather). I was given antibiotics and that escaled the depersonalisation and I havent been able to get out of it since! It's like i have forgotten what it feels like to be a person! if than makes any sense! As everything feels so strange! 

Thank you for your advice on the therapies. I will get back in for another appoinment.

Much appriciated.

• Posted

Hello, 

Thank you ever so much for your reply. Sorry, I meant 'run down' as in now well (under the weather). I was given antibiotics and that escaled the depersonalisation and I havent been able to get out of it since! It's like i have forgotten what it feels like to be a person! if than makes any sense! As everything feels so strange! 

Thank you for your advice on the therapies. I will get back in for another appoinment.

Much appriciated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.