depersonalization

Posted , 6 users are following.

Is anyone suffering from depersonalization: detachment, being in a dreamlike state, dazed, feeling invisible yet knowing reality from feelings?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I have suffered for almost 20 years, when my anxiety is high it is much worse, I don't get it while depressed, it's a protection from anxiety. Deal with the anxiety and it will disappear. Its totally harmless and very usual with anxiety 
    • Posted

No problem, it's an awful symptom,one of the hardest to deal with, it hit me at 16 and I had no idea what was happening. Very distressing but really it's a healthy response to anxiety
    • Posted

Thank God that it has not interfered with my routine except sometimes I am so tired.  I started taking Gaba and L-theanine together a couple of nights ago.  Recommended by my therapist; however, I haven't seem her in months.  I stopped going when I had my knee surgery almost a year ago.  I think I will start going again.  It did help.  Also, praying and reading and meditating on scripture helps me on a daily basis. Again, thanks jmcg; it's good to know I am not alone. Everyone on this site seema to talk about anxiety...not depersonalization.
    • Posted

HI,

Gaba and L-theanine at night?  This is normaly good for anxiety, how much you take? 

• Posted

750mg of Gaba and 100mg of L-theanine.  I take it at night because it can make you drowsy.
  • Posted

Hello steadfast

My reassurance to you iis that what you are feeling is very common, but at least nowadays it is recognised as symptomatic, whereas many years ago it was not talked about and not diagnosed.  It was only in recent years that I discovered what Depersonalisation is, and it was a great relief to know that it is now talked about, especially on sites like this.  Don't worry too much.....it will pass, and there are so many people out there suffering from it, that it will help to realise that you are not alone.  Good Luck!

• Posted

I suffered from depersonalization disorder almost 25 years ago.  It was terrible because no doctors knew what I was talking about when I described the dream-like state that I could not get out of.  I lost my job; I lost my friends; I really pretty much lost my life in many ways.  However, the GOOD news is that doctors DO know about it now, so please, please get help.  Decreasing anxiety, yes, is very imporant.  Knowing what you're suffering from is half the battle and you can let your brain calm down.  The other thing that finally helped me (and I'm really not sure if this did help or if I was finally ready to get out of this state after two years) was to go on a strict migraine diet.  I'm not sure how I heard about this to try it, but this is what was suggested in the information that I found:  I could only eat five foods:  chicken, lamb, broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts.  These foods have been found not to stimulate the migraine aspect of the brain, which some people think that depersonalization and migraine are related.  I went on this for 30 days and at the end of 30 days, the depersonalization did lift.  Only for a minute at a time, but these minutes started to add up.  I would added a new food every 4 days and evaluate.  If the depersonalization became worse, I eliminated it for now and tried it again later.  If it made it better or was neutral, I was able to add it back.  I had to do this for over a year until I finally felt like I was out of the woods.  I would slip back into depersonalization if I became too stressed, but for the past 20 years, I have been pretty much ok.  Until now that I'm into menopause.  I'm not having depersonalization, but other brain chemical problems, some of which seem to be related to histamine.  So, I'm following my previous protocol.  I've elminated all histamine/tyramine foods and have to add them back in, etc.  My symptoms are different than depersonalization, but both of these experiences has told me that my brain is VERY sensitive.  In both cases, I have found that getting back to nature is very helpful and grounding.  Sit or lie on the ground.  Feel the Earth's energy.  Be part of this world.  See, touch and hear things.  It will keep you grounded.  Try not to spend too much time in the computer world.  Experience real life in your body instead of only in your brain.  I live in my brain so much that I need to reconnect my body to the earth.  Please see a professional because so much more is known about depersonalization than used to be.  Living your true self is so important to those of us that feel everything (both good and bad) so intensely.  All my best to you.
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth I too am suffering from this..do you have any more good tips about recovery from this..

dee

• Posted

Thanks Elizabeth. 

This information is encouraging.  When I focus on other things or people (in conversation), I am not aware of this detached/dreamlike/dazed feeling as much.  I never thought about diet.  This is a hard one since I like to eat a variety of food, but it would be worth it to try to get better.  I've been feeling like this for about two years now.  It came on gradually...a deep awareness of my hand on the steering wheel, etc.  Weird.

• Posted

Although it can be a separate condition, often its not, and is a bi product of general anxiety and/or depression. The most sound way of addressing it is to deal with the root cause of the anxiety
    • Posted

indeed yes, at varying degrees over many years

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.