Depersonalization and Derealization

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey guys,

I'll cut straight to the chase, about 2 years ago i had a major panic attack leaving me in hospital over night. After this i developed a severe general anxiety over my health, the heart in particular due to all the heart like symptoms anxiety can create. This when on for almost a year and a half, i had all the classic anxiety symptoms from physical to psychological but overtime i slowly learned how to trust me body and ignore the symptoms. Though i feel ive come along way in accepting and learning to recover from my anxiety issues, i still can't get out of this dis reality state. Its almost 24/7 now. it seems to of gotten worse as everything else got better. Everyday i'll feel not there and disconnected. I end up feeling so different at times, like i know i'm here and i exists but there are times where i feel really disconnected from my-self and my surroundings. Whats most interesting, is when i did worry about my health, DP and DR weren't really there, its when i stopped worrying i kind of when into this state?? I've booked an appointment with my doctor to look at treatments or alternate treatments for my anxiety, which is still very much a thing. I still stress over many things. Does anyone else experience this on a regular basis?? Just starting to notice it more and more.

Cheers

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

even though you stopped worrying, you still have underlying anxiety which to some extent can be controlled.

thats why you get the derealization . it cannot hurt you but i know its disturbing . try not yo react in an anxious way when it happens cuz it will increase. have a matter of fact attitude , you can fool your brain by telling yourself its no big deal.

talk to your doctor about anxiety management, how to relax your mind to decrease depersonalization.

ever since i took a more relaxed attitude towards it AND everything in life, i have rarely had it.

exercise helps me and it actually has been found to increase brain mass, which can only help !

Attitude is everything. stay positive.

Ive had anxiety since childhood, so for some its chronic. but it can be reasonably managed if you get the right help.

TAKE CARE OF YOU!! ❤

• Posted

Hi Andrew,

I feel really bad for your systems and am having those dis reality states and disconnected from my body but mine are from tapering from the ativan (Lorazapam) and Its so hard to describe what your body feels like. It is the worst feeling I've ever felt in my life, I hate it, I've never abused them by blood pressure goes through the roof and pulse whew!! I am wondering, did you end up having these heart issues from any medication for anxiety? I wish I could find the means to help you but I hope you don't mind me asking you this I'm really going through it.

Good luck!!!

• Posted

Thanks for the reply guys, that positive frame of mind is something i'll work on! Similar to what you said if i am distracted than it does over time fade away. Its such an interesting but alien feeling, sometimes i get worried i'll loose myself in it, but i never do. I guess i just have to reduce that constant anxiety.

No no that's fine! I got a whole bunch of hearts tests done due to a unrelated heart murmur found after i had a heart holter. It was nothing to worry about, but i went and got a whole bunch of tests done to make sure it wasn't something that could become a problem. So you can see how coming off a panic attack and than hearing that would create a massive amount of anxiety surrounding my health, even though i had countless pathologists and doctors tell me its nothing to really worry about. The heart related symptoms like palpitations, racing heart race, chest pain where all anxiety related, but i wasn't on medication at the time so i'd say it was just my anxiety just convincing me the two where linked. Thanks for the replies guys really really appreciate it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.