depersonalization help

Posted , 8 users are following.

how do u cope when you start stressing over feeling depersonalized? i try to get my mind off it but its so hard and scary

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

What do you mean

by depersonalized?

• Posted

feeling like im in a dream like state out of it nothing seems real etc.
  • Posted

Have you just started a new med,that could make you feel that way.
    • Posted

i felt like this before i started taking zoloft my dr said its normal because ive had a hard traumatic experience losing my mom im just trying to see how people deal with it if they experience it too
    • Posted

It is something I experience as well. I hate it. I can't be alone when it happens to me. I've just come out of a bad few weeks. I just push through it and try to stay busy. I also suffer from insomnia when my anxiety is high and I think that makes the realization/depersonalizations worse. It sucks.
    • Posted

I meant derealization and depersonalization
    • Posted

same with me my bf works so i stay home alone and i look around the room and freak out its so scary sometimes rolleyes i just want it to go away
  • Posted

Remind yourself it is a source of discomfort, not a source of danger, acknowledge it and accept it. Return your thoughts to the present rather than your thoughts of other times and places. Don't argue with your thoughts,  just refocus your attention,

to the present surroundings. Yes, it is scary, only if you let it be.

• Posted

thank you its hard when it gets bad rolleyes but that is a comfort thank you
  • Posted

I used to sing to myself (so I could hear myself and know I was there), look around and describe everything around me to myself, hold onto something (shopping trolley, bag, camera), talk like mad if I was with someone so the sound of my voice reassured me although I did worry if they didn't answer, perhaps they couldn't hear me because I wasn't really there? (you can tell how bad I got!), always carry water because drinking feels so real, ditto mints... everyone has their own tricks, you may find some more! It is extremely unpleasant and I so sympathise, but it does get better. I can't say it ever completely goes once you've suffered, but I've developed so many coping mechanisms that it hardly bothers me now. 
  • Posted

Few years ago i felt derealization very often, then I found out what it is and get used to it. I accepted my derealization, when it had happened i thought "again i'm feel like i'm dreaming. oh well... whatever". I did not pay attention to it and it had slowly disappeared.
  • Posted

I get tunnel vision which is like im dead to the world try not to allow urself to fall into thoughts of worry keep talking laughing call someone play a game prayers are the best good luck and stay focus
  • Posted

thank you i notice when i have a i dont care attitude and try to stay busy it slowly gets better smile i lost my mom 3 years ago recently got hit by bad depression am on anti depressants believing for healing💙
  • Posted

Hi

I get this occasionally too, I'm bipolar II with anxiety and obsessional thinking but well medicated.  Its best if I can just forget about it and then it doesn't bother me, until soemthing reminds me like this post.  No criticism intended.  I have also called it referred to as dissasociation (not sure of spelling).  When it does happen I really hate it, just like I can't engage with and enjoy all the good things going on around me.  Its  not a med side effect as I was getting it for years before I was ever diagnosed and medicated.  I hope it leaves you alone really soon.

Happy CHristmas

Lizzie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.