Depreesion v Statins

Posted , 4 users are following.

I suffer from Chronic depression and no medication seems to help, they always make me extremely tired, lethargic and zombiefied. Because of this I came off my then medication over a 9 month period before trying something new, The new medication just made me sleep , so stopped after a few days and found my depression lifting week by week and that I was getting back to my good old self as time went on. After a two year period feeling free from depression I went through a rough time last winter and have been up and down all summer and had to go back on to meds again, and again the same feelings and problems so stopped taking the meds. I've been told that my only option now is Lithium!!

Not Keen, but if it's the answer then so be it, However, I wanted one last shot at trying to get my self right on my own ( with backup of course}. I've looked at my other meds for a previous mini stroke and diabetes 2 and noticed that one of the side effects of a Statin is depression, so is this med helping me in one way but making my depression either worse or the cause of it coming back when I was doing so well? I only went on the statins after my mini stroke as it " was procedure after such cases". I have never suffered from cholesterol problems, so do I really need it ? I came off the statins on my own 6 weeks ago and I'm doing well and in a great frame of mind!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My father was on statins after a stroke. He became zombie like. After two years he had a new GP who tried him without statins for a couple of weeks, he became the life and soul of the party. We used to threaten him with putting him back on statins when he became too boisterous!

• Posted

Hi George - with relief I read that you have ditched the statins. Poisoness. No evidence they prevent stroke or heart attacks. Plenty of horrifying evidence that it causes rhabdomyelosis (irreversible muscle wasting disease), dementia, type 2 diabetes, depression - just to name only a few. You don't need them - they are gateway drug for other illnesses, more meds, more therapists, more money for the greedy pharmacies , and a new swimming pool for your doctor. I know this because i am a survivor of statins - 4 years clean and it's taken that long to get - almost - better.

As for your depression - i suffer that as a genetic and environmental component in my life - if you feel the answer is to test lithium - it may well be what you've been looking for - then go for it. You can always halt the program if outcome is adverse. There are also studies being done on Ketamine which is an animal tranquilizer. Thus far, there have been remarkable reports - i.e. that one injection will last months, no other meds needed. Results should be finalised in the next year or so.

My advice born of experience is to address the diet and exercise components of your life first. Nil sugars, nil processed foods, nil trans fats. Use olive oil, oats, omega 3, oily fish 2-3 times per week, veges, fruits, grains etc. I found investigating what i was eating in this modern world disturbing. Fat free means sugar laden. Most everything on the supermarket shelves is saturated with sugar - another device to ensure we are endlessly requiring medical assistance. Guinea pigs, commodities or collateral, that's what we are. As for exercise - ditch the car. I walk absolutely everywhere, 10-13 km's most every day. I do have high cholesterol - another genetic gift - but i will never use statins again nor trust what a doctor tells me. Unless it's a broken arm.

Diet, exercise, research. Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.