depressed

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello everyone,,,

has anyone ever got extremely depressed and not sure why other than feeling  lousy weak, and extremely fatigued... its almost like something in my brain turns on the depresssion switch. i have so much to be thankful for but this dreaded disease makes me hate life every once in a while.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anthony, I know exactly how you feel. I have had AS for nearly 30 years and I get so down about it sometimes. My pain is extremely bad, people dont really understand it when I try and expain how I feel, so Ijust get on with life even though I am frustrated at the things I cant do anymore. Some people have luckily found a medication or treatment that works, I am trying acupuncture soon, I would cross my fingers but as theyre so stiff I cant.!!!!!!!!!!!!  Keep going.
    • Posted

Hi Gillian

Wow that is a long time suffering,  Are you open to try anything non-intrusive and holisitic ?  I am a Reiki Healer and can send Reiki over a distance.  No cost whatsoever.  Reiki energy releases blockages and can really help. Just ping me a message. 

• Posted

Hi

Depression at times is so normal and shows you are a real person suffering.   In time it should improve as you will find ways to distract these waves coming.  Talking to people that understand helps a lot and do the stretching excercises when you are not mobile as this really does release endorphins. My brother has suffered with back pain since a teenager and he is now 48. He doesn't have AS, his discs have worn away. He does not suffer anymore as he has built the muscle strength to support his spine. He goes to the gym now religiously and at first it was the hardest task, but he knew if he didn't he would need a spine fusion.  His experiences help me as he understands and that is what helps me when I get low.

• Posted

Antony, feeling down is a normal state of mind and fatigue is certainly one of the AS sympthoms. But! Are you on some meds which side effects may cause depression? Please consult your dr about your situation / it can be the meds, it might be the pain and it might be something else. This way or another you need a valid consultation - we are just virtual ppl that do not know your med history or else... Hope that you will step out of it soon!
  • Posted

Yes I know exactly how you feel,  its nice to know other people are going through this.  My husband and family try to but simply just can't understand. I have been on a long road to find reliefe and so far that still hasent happened.  I have AS and many other places, and osteoarthritis in my knees etc. The doctor said 90% of my body was full of inflammation, so I finally broke down and took Methotrexate for 6 weeks.  I felt the usual "Fog" and had stomach issues,  but the pain would get sever especially in my joints the next day.  I felt like I had been hit by a truck,  became very fatigued and could only function 3 or 4 days a week.  She is now stating me on Sulfasalasine and says that it will take up to 12 weeks to work, and it won't help my neck pain.  Which is the most important to me,  I find it hard to function/sleep with my neck in constant severe pain.  She said a biological drug will help but won't start it for 6 months. I am going to see a Naturopathic Doctor next week to see if he can help me.  
    • Posted

Hello,  sorry to hear about your issues. I have some neck things going on as well, was wondering if your neck is constantly cracking or if u feel the need to crack it cause mine does all the time. And have u tried altering uR diet cause that has helped me a ton. And supplements? Also doing yoga and weight lifting helps a ton .. so many times i feel absolutely terrible but force myself to lift weights. By the end of the session I forget i ever felt bad and the pain is almost completely gone....  I also have a very hard time sleeping. I take benedryl and melatonin every night. I just can't sacrifice not sleeping... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.