Depressed

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello. I have posted a few weeks ago about not feeling well and going to see my dr and being told i was anemic and thyroid was off. Dr only gave me iron pills and had me do another blood work.i finally get to see my dr tomorrow. I have been feeling depressed and other symptoms like tired,weak,nauseated and many more since the day i went to go see my dr weeks ago. Been taking my iron pills for two weeks. Its helped me out a little but the anxiety n depression and a few other symtpoms i am still having. As of now depression is what is getting to me. I could be writing a grocery list and all of a sudden i feel sad and want to cry. What could be causing me to feel this way. Could it be my anemia or thyroid. I was told i had both so i just dont know whats causing it. Did thyroid cause any of you to feel depressed before knowing or getting any meds for it? Hopefully my sr could help me out tomorrow. I finally get to know whats going on with my thyroid.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

2oo4 my doctor found a lump in my throat turns out to be a goiter. Before that maybe 3 years or so I was so tired no energy depression the whole bit. I chalked it up to the fact I was leaving a bad marriage. At any rate the doctors gace me antidepressants I had to go through a lot to get rhe right one and dosage. Cut to a few years ago, I noticed I couldn't function my work suffered. I was so depressed the doctors just prescribed more antidepressants. I cried at everything. Having breakdowns in front of my bosses it was terrible. I began reading about thyroid issues and ask my doctors to test me. All of my thyroid levels were normal but my vit d was really low so I was treated for this. But the depression wouldn't fo away. I was very depressed my hair started to fall out. I was mentally confused. I couldn't tell ou what is 9×4. I cut myself off from everyone. I quit my job. I wanted to die. Finally my doctor heard me. I've been increased to 50mcg of levothyroxine starting at 25. It's been about 4 weeks since I've started this medication. I still feel lously my hair is still coming out mental confusion is present. I sleep in the day and up at nite. I still take antidepressants along with caltrate for the vit d and a vit daily. What I say to you is keep talking to yor doctor. Get your levels up. Pray. Pray. Pray. This is a process to good health
  • Posted

Hi amber, it could welll be your thyroid causing you to cry unexpectedly - the thyroid produces a hormone called thyroxine, and we all know the effect hormones have on pregnant women! Anaemia can also cause depression, so with this double whammy it's not surprising that you feel like you do. Do ask for printouts of both sets of blood results. I wish I had mine from 1991, now i know more about it all I would love to know what they were.

Do ask your doctor to explain anything you don't understand. No doubt you will need to told lots of times - it's complicated and having a thyroid condition addles your brain (until it's under control and balanced). All the best tomorrow.

• Posted

Thanks for replying. Tomorrow ill post my results from both test and maybe you could help me understand it. If you dont mind.☺
    • Posted

That's fine - I'll do my best, though Shelley's the best and no doubt she'll reply if she can.

If you have been reading any of the other posts, you'll know that Ferritin =70+ is important for the thyroid to process thyroxine. Also see if he's tested folate, vitamin B12, vitamin D, zinc, potassium, magnesium, selenium, calcium. There are a couple more that I can't remember at the moment.

• Posted

Do get your blood tested (for all the things Barbara lists) then post them here so that we can give our opinions. include the units of the results and the ranges - all that will be on your test result chart.
    • Posted

A test results chart sounds like a good idea. I've never heard of it. Anyone know if we have them in the UK?
    • Posted

Perhaps "chart" was the wrong word. All I meant was the piece of paper where your results are written. I think that is how your results are usually sent to you. Maybe I am wrong, perhaps in the UK you have to telephone the doc. and copy down what they say.

But however you get them, post them here. 

• Posted

Actually, on that subject you could ask your doc to e-mail them to your, that would be the easiest. That's how they do it in the US.
    • Posted

We're still in the ark-ages here! I can get printouts but no emailed results.
    • Posted

Hello Barbara and LAH:

Most doctor's in the USA have portal's and you download an app to you phone and you can get all your labs and appointment notes etc... info directly to you and you can print it out.  Several of my doctors have that system.

Sorry, I did not mean to jump in on your conversation.

XO, Shelly

• Posted

Hello Amber:

I am in the USA, but please see if you can get a more understanding doctor.  Please ask your GP to test your TSH and T3, and T4 levels.  I hear that in UK you have NICE GUIDELINES, which allow them to treat you with Levo 25mcg.  So ask to be given a trial dosage.

Keep us posted,

Shelly

• Posted

Ok. Got blood work back. Dr said my thyroid is fine now smh.

Thyroid profile

T3 uptake 28 % 24-35

T-4 9.0.Ug/dl. 4.5-12.5

Tsh. 0.721. Uiu/ml. 0.400-000

I was disappointed . I wanted to cry.

She looks at me and tells me i know how you feel you must be stressing and depressed because your a stay at home mom and you have too much on your hands. Smh

Firat she had the wrong chart and was telling me everything was good and i needed another papsmear i was like huh and i told her if that was my chart. She said yea .i told her does it say amber and shes like yea and then i ask her to show me the chart and noticed it wasnt mine . I let her know once again and she looks at it and walks out and grabs mine smh. And supposly i am not that anemic. I cant poat my iron because i dont know how they name it on the blood work paper.

• Posted

Hello Amber:

Please see another doctor this one sounds like a Flake!  OMG, how could she mix up your chart!!!  This is very unprofessional.

Please ask for a copy of all blood work.  In the USA, it is free to get a copy and they may charge if you are in the UK.

So if I were you I would find a decent GP or see and Endo also.

XO, Shelly

• Posted

Thats what i am going to do when i get home. And i got copies of my blood work. I was so mad when i found out it wasnt my chart . I told her twice it wasnt mine and she was like yea it is. Until i pointed out the patients name. Can i see an endo without a referral
    • Posted

I also asked her if she checked my vitamins and she said they dont do those 😧
    • Posted

Hello Amber:

Normally you see a GP who then can refer you to an Endocrinologist. This GP is wacky and you need one who knows enough to refer you to an Endocrinologist.

Any Doctor that is smart would check your Minerals & Vit D and B-12.  These can be low in some people and cause problems. So please get rid of that doctor and get a better GP. 

Your health matters, and you deserve a decent and competent doctor, and sadly not all doctor's are not able to understand the thyroid well.

To mix up charts is dangerous!!!  I would find a better doctor and request they check your potassium, calcium, sodium, iron, ferritin, magnesium, and Vit D and B-12.

Keep us posted on how you do.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Have you had TPO and TgAb tested? This is how they test whether your immune system is attacking your thyroid. It could be that your thyroid is being attacked by your immue system and is going wrong in bursts. Do see another GP in that practise and try again. The lab won't redo TSH test for 28 days even if your GP asks, so there's no point asking for that test again yet. But you could ask for TPO, TgAb, vitamins B12 and D. These are the important ones. (I presume you've already got iron and ferritin). GPs don't like being told, best way is to guide them to this decision by teling them your symptoms.
    • Posted

thanks alot .i am looking for a new gp right now. Ill do that. Ill keep you updated
    • Posted

Drs that i had in the past would check my minerals and vitamins. I was surprised she said they didnt check those.
    • Posted

Hello Amber:

You deserve to have the minerals and Vitamins checked as well as TPOA antibodies test and TgAb test and ESR -sed rate test.

Once you get a new doctor ask for this.

Keep us posted,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.