Depressed

Posted , 13 users are following.

Its almost 7 weeks since I had my THR I am meant to have my second hip done on the 18th February but wondering if its worth it as my first one hasnt been as successful as I expected. I feel my progress is very slow! I am walking in the house without my sticks but very slowly. My main problem is at night time, I cant get comfortable! although I am allowed to lay on my side with a pillow between my knees. I can lay only lay on unoperated side for so long, then I feel uncomfortable and struggle to get on my back because of the pain in my groin area on both sides. My operated side is still too painful to even contemplate laying on. I seem to have difficulty turning over or bending my legs. So I tend to sit up first and then try to get into a comfortable position moving my legs feels very painful in groin area, I can understand it being that way on the unoperated side but thought by now the operated side should be a lot easier! Perhaps its a bit early has anyone had the same problem? I am going for my check up on 29th January hopefully everything will be ok? My fear is that the surgery hasnt been a success???? I would appreciate your comments thank you

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Cyndey,

We all have a problem sleeping on our backs I had twelve week precautions. I attempted my un operated side at around 8 weeks and operated side just after but not for long periods.

There is no need to rush your recovery, everyone and I mean everyone who had NEVER had the op!!!! constantly told me what an easy operation it was and how everyone they knew, who had had the op recovered quickly. The reality is, it is a hard operation and recovery can be difficult with the no bending, twisting, sitting above the hip etc, I never heard anyone mention all the precautions.

Your second op is not for a month and by then a lot of recovery will take place and you may feel differently by then so do not rush to cancel and see how you feel in three weeks. Keep your chin up and think positive with your recovery, you will get there.

• Posted

Dear Cyndey,

The sleeping on my back was the worse thing for me. What helped a little is a pillow under my knees down my legs, , pillows on each side so my elbows were raised a little. the leg pillow let my heels hang over the end of the knee pillow because if not my heels would hurt. Made a little coccoon like thing which made it comfortable. You cannot rush the sleeping on your side thing. It just is. Also I agree that anyone planning this operation needs to research on the internet from reliable sites like he Mayo clinic, the Hospital for orthopedic surgery in New York, any hospital or doctor orthopedic websites.

good luck, don't rush your recovery (don't try you really can't) and hopefully you will get some ideas from the folks here to make your recovery more comfortable. If you rush you may take steps backwards and it will take longer.

• Posted

HI I HAVE DONE SOMETHING SIMILAR TO YOU I AGREE IT DOES HELP ESPECIALLY THE PILLOW UNDER YOUR KNEES TO KEEP YOUR HEELS OFF THE BED! MY BED IS UNBELIEVABLE THE AMOUNT OF PILLOWS I HAVE ON! I HAVE A BODY PILLOW NOT MUCH GOOD AS YET AND A U SHAPED PILLOW QUITE USEFUL LOTS OF CUSHIONS! THANKS AGAIN I HAVE ALSO BEEN INFORMED A SHEEPSKIN COVER TO BE VERY GOOD STOPS BED SORES I WILL USE IT FOR MY NEXT OPERATION TO HELP GET COMFORTABLE AND MAYBE WHEN I AM ABLE TO GO ON MY SIDE IT MIGHT HELP I WILL TRY ANYTHING LOL TAKE CARE CHEERS CYNDEY

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.