Depressed after 12 months of constant pain .

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had surgery 18 months ago on a herniated disc which was causing ces, after my op I felt so much better everything went back to normal. But 6 months down the line the pain returned now I'm in constant pain, I walk with a limp, and I'm fed up with being fobbed off with more pain relief that isn't helping.Do any of you have any advice? I know the nerves take time to repair but surely I shouldn't be in this much pain. My doctors seem very disinterested and it's making being a singal mum to 3 children very difficult.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

It's a shame but there is a thing called neruomodulation. That can work look it up. I was on a two week assessment in July 4 on the course have had the trail version for 2 weeks. My ces is so extreme I have not been put forward. Guys and st Thomas's pain management unit take people from all over the country it's a ago rate of success they done 250 last year and 170 it work on. Try

• Posted

OMG I can so relate to you I never liked pain meds for my back pain I have a child with autism so I have to on the top of my game at that time.  My tens unit was my best friend… if the back pain and nerve pain has returned I would go get a second consul and MRI to see that the hell is going on.  I have had made  back surgeries on my l4-5 and the last one took 18 months from DX to surgery date because i am on medicaid and we have to schedule apts 4-6 weeks out at a time at one point I was standing in the DR office begging for them to do surgery but they insisted on doing injection after injection.  i ended up firing that DR and clinic and going to Swedish who tried to tell me pain was all in my head until he did the mri and was schedule for surgery 2 weeks later at that point i need forearm crutches in order to stand and was having major bladder control issues
    • Posted

I have sat crying to my doctor, he said no to the injections, I think that he thinks it's in my head too, but I can't cope like this I feel like a terrible mum as my 6 yr old does way to much for me. I've also begged for another mri but the NHS being the way it is he's refused. Maybe going private is my only way forward!

• Posted

I know i really wish the Dr's would listen to us i wonder if they forget that we know our bodies better then them sometimes.  I wonder if you back re-hurinated my 2nd surgery was just over a year after my first one and i started to have sciatic pain 5 months after surgery.  mine came on as a dull ache for me though I am here in the state so its a little better than NHC.  you said you bladder was messed up? what way retention or incont?  mine is major incont issues unless i have huge amounts of pain then i am retraining and we all know what that means LOL

After each surgery i have gained 50 to 60 lbs too so i am depressed about my weight and finally working with my VA "vertens ADmin Dr. and in a weight loss support group to help me loose the weight.  I had to get cleared by a PT for that program" sad

• Posted

Bladder isn't actually to bad other than getting infections quite often ! I've lost weight and I walk everywhere as advised but still no let up , I feel like I've re herniated but like I said they don't seem interested. Just wish they'd start listening.

• Posted

Hello Mamanene,

​                           Your Doctor should have suggested by now that an Epidural Steriod Injection

​(ESI) would be your next step to supplement pain killers, it`s helped me and should offer relief

​to you, but its only a quick fix not a permanent fix. Good luck hope this helps..Mike23430.

• Posted

Hi I have asked for this injection his answer was no its a short term solution. I have managed to get an appointment with my ces nurse I'm hoping someone takes some notice of me. I know my own body and it doesn't feel right.

• Posted

Hello,

I hope you are getting some relief now? I am a few years in post surgery. I have had success in getting some quality of life back through finding what works and also using ideas suggested by American pain doctor Forest Tennant for 'intractable pain' and listed under 'arachnoiditis' but absolutely reflect chronic Cauda Equina. Some things include wearing a spinal brace at certain times, exercises and also medication protocols. It is the closest thing I have found for information to guide how to manage 'Chronic CES' which he calls 'Cauda equina infammation'. There is a public service website called ' Arachnoiditis hope . com' and links to the arachnoiditis handbook which is very useful to CESers I think. It sounds difficult, being a mum. Best of luck. 

• Posted

This happens a lot like me my back is in a terrible mess but they are disinterested. I keeping pushing. I felt ok after the operation for urgent decompression. I was left for 6 days I have a lot of damage I have a colostomy and a ieal conduit wee stoma stoma. I had a lot of thing I would not have had like I at to have my bladder removed a colostomy revision 2 hernia operation my scar is right up the middle I can't walk with out my stick. My after care over 9 years as been terrible I sued and won as they had no excuse. My disc not only come out they had touch and fused together then broke off. It's been hard. I need some support in the back I was told a few month back that all my new problems were cause by no support put in at the time of my 1st operation. The pain will more the likely stay with u. Ask about neromodlation that would help u I feel.guys and st Thomas's do this in their pain management unit .

• Posted

I've finally got through to my doctor he sent me for an mri and found another slipped disc which is nipping my nerve! 8 months I've been on that themy I new something wasn't right! Currently still waiting in treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.