Depressed after IST surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have had 4 ablations and recently I had a thoracotomy to correct the IST. The recent surgery was a success and I have found myself having a hard time adjusting to a normal heart rate. I'm sad about never having a surgery again and never having a fast heart rate again. I know its stupid but its hard come to terms with it. A little about me, I'm 23 and have had IST for 11 years. I'm wondering if the reason behind it being so hard to adjust is because I've lived with it for so long? Let me know what you think and if you've encountered this problem before?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am glad your surgery was a success. Time will help you.

But please what is IST?

And thoracotomy?

• Posted

Oh I am so sorry you are having trouble with adjusting to it. Remember you have had 'something' for 11 years. You have been talking/dealing/discussing this with a lot of people for a long time. You have had that as a part of you which is now gone. I know it seems odd because you are now better but when something is missing (regardless of good or bad) it is still a loss. Sounds weird I know but I do believe this is normal. It is time to move on. That was a part of your life that is over, and it is a good thing. Here's an example: Getting rid of a friend that is nice and brings some attention but is a pain in the ass at the same time.. Once shes out of your life - you may miss her but it is for the best! Find a new hobby, engulf yourself in 'something', painting, working out, a pet, take a hobby class. Do something to focus your attention elsewhere. It will take a little bit but you will be fine.. Glad they fixed it! Feel very lucky!

• Posted

Hello Courtney,

My name is Ruth and I'm 29yrs old and I also have IST. I have had it for 1 full year so far. I have seen a Cardiologyst and a Electrophysiologist but they have actually told me that ablation is not recommended for IST Patients as is different than SVT. For those that don't know IST is Inappropriate Synus Tachycardia. This mean that your heart is constantly 24/7 beating fast at heart rates of 100bpm or greater. I recently saw my Cardiologyst for a F/U and he just reassured me that IST is not life threatening and that my heart otherwise is healthy. My symptoms thankfully are not so bad that I can tolerate them without medications. At one point my Cardiologyst pescribed me Metropolol for symptom management but I was to scare of side effects that I decided not to take them since my Cardiologyst had said that the meds where only to help symptoms. Instead I just thought my self how to live with them for a year now. Even though my symptoms are not to bad I still have my days where I wish my heart would just slow down. I'm glad you have found something that worked for you long term. I was curious because I have not met many people who have IST that can relate to what I have. SVT pt find a relief when they are not on a SVT attack. We however, have to learn to cope with a constant fast beating heart. Please if you can give me any tips on how you have dealt with this condition for the past 11 years and how your Dr's came up with your solution I would gladly appreciate it. My Cardiologyst adviced me to take no meds since I was so young still to drink plenty of fluids increase salt intake and exercise. Thank you 😊

• Posted

There is a wonderful new beta blocker called Nebivolol or Nebilet. On a very tiny dose it brings the heart rate down a bit. Much easier for dsily life. I hsd no side effects. It's wotth it. Also worth getting a second opinion on your heart health. Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.