Depressed after lumbar fusion. Week 4... is thisnormal

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a fusion on my L4 through S1 . Did great at the hospital . I'm day eight nerve pain set in . I don't steroids for a week which helped with that . But it seems like every other day I'm feeling well and then I'm feeling so depressed I can barely move . If this is normal I am not sure what to do

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

How long ago was ur operation
    • Posted

That's still very early stages you probably not going feel a big difference until between 3-6 month . They say for every hour in surgery is a months recovery . Vitamin b12 is also good to help with the nervous system.

• Posted

Thanks for the encouragement ! I am taking vit b12. I've had three other back surgeries before but none of them were fusion and I feel better in no time.  I don't think I was mentally prepared for the difference in the surgery .

• Posted

Contact your surgeons office & tell them exactly how you're feeling.  Surgeons have more experience with how patients feel after surgery than anyone on this forum.

• Posted

i have I have an appt in 2 weeks... was just wondering if labeled moods were normal. I've also lost 10#. I'm not big to begin with... 5-1 and now 120. That worried me at first too but I've learned from other people that weight loss after the surgery is normal and it will then stabilize

• Posted

I'm 12 weeks out from multi level lumbar fusion  I've experience depression too. 

Opiates seem to contribute to my depression. I try to minimize their use as much as I can tolerate the pain. I still struggle with acitivity and labile mood ut it does seem to be getting better

• Posted

I had noticed a relationship between opiates so I take very little drugs.... maybe one Percocet every couple days to help me sleep but that's about it . I read online that sometimes the Anastasia that they use in fusion surgery puts you under a little deeper then and some other surgeries and then Anastasia takes a while to get out of your system and also as a contributor to the depression. So I'm wondering if that's part of it anyway

• Posted

I love how iPad auto corrects.... anesthesia ... lol
  • Posted

Jedi Mind Trick...  Get to PT immediately.  Start working on strengthening your lower body and core.  I was fused L3 though S1, started rehab a few weeks later and kicked its a$$.  Doing 230-pound leg presses in a month. You have to get serious about PT...no excuses...do the work!!!  You'll feel great in no time!!!

• Posted

My surgeon is of the opinion that I have to wear a brace for three months before they start physical therapy so that's where I'm at .  I definitely know my core will need to be strengthened because the braces only adding To weakening my core.  I will do the work when I get the OK .!

• Posted

This is the general opinion of most spine surgeons now , no PT until 12 weeks & after brace comes off. I had my surgery at a large very reputable university hospital in Chicago & this is how they practice as well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.