depressed and being isolating myself

Posted , 5 users are following.

hey anyone reading this,

I've been depressed for 3 years now but only started taking antidepressants since March this year and they have helped but I still feel so low and its all getting too much because I push myself away from everyone else and isolate myself. i've been in my room for the past 2 weeks and been getting food when I know my adoptive parents aren't in the house or have gone to the study to work so I don't see them.

I don't have dinner with them or go out when they go out because I just hate being around them but I will go out with friends even though I'm feeling really low i will go out with them because they make me feel less depressed and make me laugh but they understand that I'm struggling and are trying to help me whereas my adoptive parents don't even know something is going on they just leave me alone and to cope with everything. 

I overdosed 3 weeks ago and been in hospital, they were away in Wales which is 2 hours away from the hospital I was in and didn't even come home just messaged one of my friends to make sure I was okay. 

I don't know what to do, can anyone give me any advice or anything?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lauren, 

So sorry that you feel this way, I understand how you feel. I have suffered with depression for a number of years and take anti depressants. Unfortunately isolating yourself will not help, I have recently learnt that myself. A week ago I suffered a severe anxiety attack and ended up in hospital. This evening I think I feel like I’m recovering. Advice is this, please see a doctor and get some medication. It’s nothing to be ashamed of, they will help you. Also please seek counselling, it will hopefully help you to make sense of your feelings. You also need to surround yourself with people who care and understand, be honest with your friends, i’m sure they will just want to help and support you. It’s awful that you felt the need to try and take your own life, I can’t imagine how bad that was for you. I’m glad you didn’t succeed and you seem to want to help yourself which is a great step forward. Each day is a step forward towards a recovery. I don’t think depression ever really leaves us we just learn to live and cope with it. Up until a few hours ago I honestly felt like I would never get better, that’s how depression can be. Please seek the help you need and I feel sure that it will get better. I wish you lots of luck and love, please keep trying xxx

• Posted

So sorry, just re read your post and see that you are already on medication. In which case I would advise that you go back to your doctor and either get your medication increased or try something new. Best of luck xx
    • Posted

i will try but i get so anxious talking to someone i don't know and then bottle it up and end up not telling them whats going on

• Posted

Hi again,

I too found it difficult at first to talk about it but now I find it a great help. Remember that people on here have also been through it and they do understand your feelings. I am still recovering, today has been a reasonable day. I actually managed to get out and feel a bit motivated to do things. I really think you need more support from your parents. It does sound like they are a big part of your depression. They need to understand how much this is affecting you. I have found that getting my feelings out has been helpful and as a result I am getting lots of support from my family. Being depressed is not shameful, it's an illness like any other. Talking on this forum has been helpful. Keep talking and please get some counselling. Don't give up, you can get through this xxxx

• Posted

, Hi Lauren...I get the feeling, from reading your post that you have issues with your parents..mayby talking about all your troubles ...with someone.would help you better than medication. mayby your feeling unloved, or there is other things bothering you...talking to someone will get everything off your chest and really help you...Please try it. your GP can refer you to someone...and you will feel better, talking to someone who understands what your going through...xxxx
  • Posted

Here I would also advised that you go back to your doctor and either get your medication increased or try something new. Best of luck <a href="http://usmedzone.com/">depression medz</a>

• Posted

Hi Lauren sorry to hear of your situation your welcome to talk to me and inbox and will try to advise and be as supportive as I can be 😊as one other responder said it does like A lot is connected with the adopted parents and communication is key I guess 

I am happy to listen and many others here on site also 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.