depressed brother

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all. my brother has received forms for DLA  to PIP. He is so depressed with family problems(wife has severe alzheimers desease) that he wont fill them in. he feels more stress filling them in and whatever else it entails may send him over the edge. they are in their 70+years.the question is if he leaves it, will he lose his pension credit as well as his DLA.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

If your brother is 70+ years then he wouldn't have received forms for a transfer from DLA to PIP. PIP was only introduced in 2013, which was 5 years ago. He would have been passed the age for transferring across. If he was 65 on 8th April 2013 then he wouldn't transfer, he would stay on PIP. You really need to ask him exactly what forms he's received because if he is in his 70's then it simply can't be PIP forms.

• Posted

That should have said, if he was 65 on 8th April 2013 then he wouldn't transfer to PIP, he'd stay on DLA. Can't edit posts, sorry.

• Posted

What i'm thinking is has he put in a change of circumstances for the DLA and they have sent him Attendance Allowance forms? This is highly possible, but it definitely wouldn't be PIP forms, if he's over 70.

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply. I haven't seen forms as I live 90 miles away. will have to visit him at weekend and try and sort it out. would he lose his pension credit anyway?

• Posted

Pension credit is based on household income, so no. However, like i said if he is over 70 it's totally impossible for those forms to be anything remotely to do with the PIP transfer.

• Posted

ok I think he will have to see someone who knows more than me about these matters. many thanks again Denise.
    • Posted

My knowledge on these things are pretty good and i'm correct in what i say. If he was 65 on 8th April 2013 and has a DLA award, he will not be transferred to PIP.

• Posted

You could always ring DWP on his behalf if he rings them first to give you permission. I ring for my MIL or if he has a phone and WhatsApp he could take a picture of the first page or tell you what it says at top of first page
    • Posted

ok thank you. he needs to phone somebody.i will let him know tonight whats been said today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.