Depressed Devastated on the recovery of my ankle

Posted , 7 users are following.

I met with an accident last year Nov 2016. My ankle fracture was at my fibula and tibia area it was operated with a plate and 9 screws. Initially i did not feel anything as there was casting. After 3 weeks i had my first appt stitiches and casting were removed and my doctor told me to rest with no weight bearing till the next appt. During this period of time i was devastated   

seeing my ankle swollen and skin peeling off. It was so sore and i hardly walked. On my 2nd appt x-ray was taken and thank god my bone was recovered, hence doctor mentioned that i can put full weight bearing and walk. That was a shock to me. During this period my physio was not much as my ankle was too swollen. I became worried of how i am going to walk with the walking frame. When i got home i tried and i could not feel anything coz my ankle was swollen. i could walk but not stably. After 2 weeks my better leg started giving me trouble i could not walk was too painful. i could only stand at one place for less then 10 mins. i was limping throughout. I became even disapoointed. My operated area felt like burning sensation. and it was so stiff that even i did my reflexes it hurt me badly. I cried in silence but i wanted to walk badly. Now its like 3 months and the improvements is so slim and i am still sitting on the wheelchair to move around. When will i be able to walk even keeps recurring in my mind as per normal. Anyone there going thru the same situation? 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. I'm a month behind you. I should become weight barring on the 28th.  I dream about walking a lot but know it is an uphill battle. This really sucks!!!! I want to drive down to Florida to do some swimming and walking or should I say limping around in the sand for the next part of my recovery. I first have to be able to get in and out of my car by myself. I know I'm getting closer each day and you are too!!! So  Just keep swimming, keep swimming

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Airellajordan. I Suggest you to first be able to stand and walk alittle before you start driving again. Yes recovery defers from each individual but take it slow and don't strain yourself most important is to be stable. Yes we need to overcome this battle. Swimming is a great idea I wish you recovery soon. God bless

• Posted

Hi 5 months on from similar fracture and dislocated foot and I'm still struggling I stand for a living so in pain all time and ankle really swells but getting pain in both knees and hips as I'm must be walking and standing differently been told be physio it will be up to a year to get back to normal but I don't think I will as my overall fitness has suffered from  been laid up for 3 months

• Posted

Hi Wendy thank you for your reply.. where are you from ? It takes time I Guess why don't you try Swimming it might help I am going to go Everyday from now on. My better legs getting weaker that's why I limp a lot I keep doing what PT has adviced me to do. Take it slow I am also terribly down coz of this process but all we cld do is to be patience and overcome this pace. Speedy recovery to u

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.