Depressed due to breakup

Posted , 4 users are following.

My boyfriend broke up with me, it has almost been 3 months now. Instead of finding myself feeling better I am feeling worse. I cry everyday. We actually work together too so its hard having to see him almost every day. I did delete him off of all social media so that I could get some part of my life without him in it, and I still find myself trying to look at his stuff. I have tried so many things to feel better. So far I do yoga almost daily, I try to make sure to do something with friends at least once a week, I journal all of the bad thoughts I have, I started a mood tracking journal as well. But I just can't seem to get out of feeling so depressed. Outside of these things I have extreme trouble just getting out of bed, I have no motivation. I am at the point where it is starting to effect my life. I want to ask my doctor what to do but I'm worried he'll say its just normal grieving, or just prescribe me a med which I don't want. I tried better help (online counselling) but was only able to afford it for a month, although it did help me. I wish I could get a therapist but Im afraid I also won't be able to afford it. I feel so stuck, lost and confused.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Misskiss - sorry to read of your situation. The end of an intimate relationship is one of the toughest things we face. I wondered whether the ex bf gave you a reason for ending the relationship? You should be discussing what is going on with you with your doctor - he/she can refer you for counselling. You don't have to take meds if you don't want to. There are other alternatives that can help - Lavender Oil, Camomile Tea, St Johns Wort... Meanwhile the yoga is a great way to get in touch with yourself. You are mourning what was - it will take time to deal with that. there is no fixed term for grief - it will take as long as it takes. You WILL move on from this.

• Posted

He told me that he was struggling to love himself and found it hard to give me the love I deserve. Part of me understands that that would be difficult and he needs to take time for himself but the other part of me doesn't even believe him. Yeah I think I could really benefit from counselling, just to have a person who doesn't know me listen to me and not pass judgements with the way I feel would be nice. Thank you

• Posted

Hi Misskiss, I hope you are well! I can empathise with your pain, I split with my girlfriend two years ago and she too works in the same place as me, so I know how hard it is, but it will get better! Even now, I still get occasional contact with her to meet which doesn't help me, and has on a few occasions brought on twinges of the depression I experienced before. Be kind to yourself, it sounds as if you are doing all the right things like yoga and talking, so you will get there, it just takes time, lots of it sometime!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.