Depressed...new pain and 7 weeks NWB. Getting around is still so hard.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 45 and since age 40 it's been a crazy ride. I had spinal fusion 2 years ago for degenerative disk disease. On June 19th I fell down a hill and broke my fibula and had to have ORIF surgery consisting of a 12 in plate, 4 screws 1 anchor screw and another in my heel along with repair of all my tendons. I've done it all coloring, reading, movies etc but I'm so depressed and worried that this will be something that will haunt me the rest of my life. I need to get back to work to but I am still so unstable getting around. OK I'm ranting. ...just looking for advice/support this forum has been very helpful.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I completely understand how you are feeling.

I broke my leg and ankle end of last Sept advising me to have surgery, I only had 3 screws fitted but swelling has never disappeared. I had over 3 months off work, couldn't drive for two of those, struggled on a daily basis with mobility, depression, finance. All in all not a nice journey, and one that I am still suffering from. I regret having the surgery and wished I had tried without, then had surgery as a last resort. I have contemplated the removal of screws but couldn't physically, mentally nor financially afford to go through the procedure again. Its OK to rant, we all have done so at times.

We are told it will get better with time, ankle breaks certainly do test your patience. I have broken my foot some 36 years ago (I'm 55 yrs of age)

but nothing could have prepared me for this.

Good luck with your recovery, and I'm sure things will get better for you,

• Posted

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement. I'm so sorry you are dealing with pain too.

I haven't been given the option of removing the hardware but the weird thing is I can actually feel it in my ankle.

I was not prepared for this and don't think I ever could be. This has been worse than my spinal fusion.

Thank you again for reaching out sending healing thoughts your way.

• Posted

Ranting can be a good thing, and when you rant on this forum, you're talking to folks who have had similar experiences.

Hang in there dear heart. After my most recent fracture (broke left ankle in March this year.Broke right about 20 years ago.), I read ankle breaks have hard recovery process and time. A friend had a hip replacement about time I broke ankle, and later she was going to concert while I was still non weight bearing and in bed with leg elevated. Talk about my pity party!

Stress of knowing u need to get back to work doesn't help either. The old break was during work so had some income from workman's comp. This break is on my dime and I am going back to work a little before I am ready.

I can feel plate and screws from first break. Just feels odd. No pain. Surgeon has offered to remove most recent plate and screws if painful. Hopefully something I can just ignore like the last.

Best wishes in your recovery. I keep myself grounded by considering the progress I have made in the time that has passed while balanced with the knowledge of time before I get to new normal. Some days, it may be nothing more than my ankle didn't hurt as bad as the day before. Hold onto to anything that feels like progress and celebrate that.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the encouragement smile I cannot believe you have been through this twice!

I think I am with you on leaving the hardware if it doesn't hurt. I am going to do the same.

I need to keep reminding myself that any day with less pain is progresssmile again thank you so much and best of luck with your recovery too!

• Posted

Hello. For what it's worth, places like this to share your thoughts and frustrations is very helpful. Frankly, unless you've experienced this, it's hard (even for family members) to really be empathetic to your plight. Me, pylon fracture shattered my ankle in April. 2 surgeries, a plate and six screws and I'm just now walking on crutches. There were many nights (seemed like weeks on end) where I could not sleep because the pain was so bad and no meds helped. I can honestly say this is the worst experience to date, land locked at home, burden to my family and still have a long recovery ahead. I tell you this because it's OK to bitch and complain. This is really tough and tries even the hardiest of souls. But, albeit slowly, you'll get better. Small victories like taking a shower standing up! Who'd a thunk it... That would be a major victory?! Anyway, use this and other sites. There's a lot of folks out there in various stages of recovery. And even in the darkest times during those endless nights - you could get strength from others who literally "share your pain." Hang in there and good luck.

• Posted

Oh I'm so sorry for all that you have been through. I could not have said it better. ...the feeling of being a burden to family, being land locked and all of the emotional nights. When I can stand to take a shower....well it will be one of the biggest victories yet!

Just by you taking the time here to send this is helping so many of us get through these painful days. I myself was having one of the worst days yet and so many of you wonderful, beautiful people stopped to offer words of encouragement and support.

I can't even imagine what it has been like for you but I am sending you prayers for healing. Thank you for hearing my distress call tonight smile this forum is full of wonderful people all of us just trying to get by. Please take care of yourself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.