Depressed or attention seeking?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm searching for some advice really, I'm 18 years old ans my younger sister is 15, 16 in march. Looking back on my sisters life, she probably stayed having trouble when she moved to secondary school when she was 11. Same as me, we both went to a school out of town and didn't know anyone. She would just do whatever to try and fit in with the'cool/popular' crowd, for example write things online about people and so. But it made many many people not like her ans she is generally quite a bitch and selfish .. Anyway, for the past year or so she has been giving my mum hell saying she's suicidal and depressed and what not and made everyone really worried. She doesn't really have many friends in school, (definitely her own fault for talking badly about them all) but then everything got better. But in the last 2 months she has made her self an extra Instagram account calle d       'HernameDEPRESSION' , and was writing things about how she wants to kill her self how she was self harming all the time never gong out etc,.  However she was ging out and she seemed fine.. She was also constantly unfollowinf and refo owing herself on this account all the tie, so people would see it I can guess.. Which makes no sense to me because I think if you were really depressed you would want to keep it a secret.   Anyway, whilst we was in New York at Christmas she changed the name of this account to 'REDISCOVERINGhername", and wrote in the bio 'days clean: 0', which was a complete lie as we were all sharing a bedroom and bathroom the whole holiday and she never locked the door or was left alone.. On top of this, my sister stands happily naked in front of my mum and me and has absolutely no scars on any of her body.. Even though she claims to self harm. I'm just so sceptical about what she's saying. And to make things worse, 4 days ago she wrote on this secret account of hers that she had overdosed and was in hospital the whole day ... Which was a complete lie because she wa at home with her boyfriend the whole day.  Our whole family has tried to talk to her and help. Her as much as possible but I just think its getting ridiculous now.. Has anyone ever experienced somethg like this with a person ? I there something wrong with her mentally ??  I mean she changes the bio of her Instagram almost every week claiming she has something wrong with her .. At first it was anxiety and depression, then bipolar and depression... Now she is a scroliosis fighter even though she doesn't have a bent spine....  Sorry I come across as the most unsupportive person ever but I'm sick of her actions  and the worry she puts on my family when she gets absolutely everything she wants and has a very stable and good life..   My dad this she's attention seeking as does my mum but. Y mum refuses to take her to the doctors..   And sorry please excuse how this was written I'm in a rush and on my Ipas ans its lagging badly..   Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Antonia 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

if its attention seeking this still could bevdepression related. andvwhether its her iwn doing or not, loniliness and epressionnare not great. insay counselling is what she needs
    • Posted

sorry that was jibberish, so much lag tonight.

if it is attention seeking, that in its self is a sign of depression, nowwhether its her own fault or not, noboy deserves to bevalong if they are thinking it even if it aint hapoening for real

• Posted

Hi, there is a persistant myth out there that people who say they are suicidal are "just attention-seeking" and it is very dangerous. People who speak about suicide are thinking about it and if she actually has a plan of how she will do it, she is danger. Your sister needs to be evaluated by a professional to see what, if anything, is wrong with her.
  • Posted

Okay thank you so much everyone, will pass on the information and get some action it it! Cheers!
    • Posted

Ive heard there is a disorder where people either make up or do things to suggest they are ill or sick to gain attention, and this is a genuine disorder. I dont know what its called however, sorry. But there was a movie of some kind made about this disorder where this woman pretended to have cancer simply to gain the attention and the excitment of the ambulance lights etc. If it is this, she should still be seen to make sure, but if its not, you should be causious around her incase she becomes the boy who called wolf (where in the end it is actually real) :s Hope this helps and hope things get better x
  • Posted

Hi Antonia, I think your sisters attempts for attention go beyond normal attention seeking behaviour, it's almost sounding obsessive behaviour which can be put down to an illness even just mild/moderate depression.

Your mum and dad shouldn't dismiss her actions as attention seeking and I think you should speak to them about your sister as you are obviously worried and perhaps suggest to them that they need to speak to your sister and try find out what is motivating her to do what she is doing but in a non confrontational way but a supportive and concerned way.

If you have a school councillor you might want to consider speaker to him/her about what is happening and get advise.

Eitherway her behaviour is not normal for her age and of course as a concerned sister you want the best for her.

I hope this helps Antonia.

Neil 

• Posted

Antonia I think Neil ( aspinan ) has some valid points and its always best to err on the point of safety. These are not normal things to do ( or perhaps in this case not do but say you are ).
  • Posted

Hey my sister is doing the same thing. She's 15 and she's starting to act out. If you have any thing that helped your sister please tell me. I need help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.