Depressing cystitis and oab

Posted , 4 users are following.

Since more than a year i have an chronic cystitis and uti. I had many antibiotic treatments, including a 6 time bladder rinse. After 4 month the infection was not complete gone, but i felt much better, and since then i am on a maintenance dose antibiotics. I also suffer from severe urine incontinence due to an overactive bladder that i was diagnosed for many years ago. I had medication, physiotherapy, botox treatment, and sacral neuromodulation, all without success.

Lately i noticed that the maintenance dose antibiotics doesn't help anymore. I have a lot of pain in my bladder, prostate and testicles and the smell of my urine is unbearable. The combination of incontinence and that smell is very frustrating. I just feel dirty all the time, and i’m afraid to go out of the house, because i can smell myself, and so others can too.

Next week i have an appointment with my urologist. Does anyone know what other treatments there are? I am very depressed because i think i am out of options.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

there's a treatment for overactive bladder called PTNS.Has really helped me.Also, I hAve a lot of anxiety so now take an anxiety pill when. I need it and this calms my bladder down. I've been battling this for years. botox was also suggested but didn't want to do it.

good luck!!!

• Posted

Hi Anne Marie. In reading your answer to Eden, I notice you say you take an anxiety pill when needed and it calms your bladder. would you mind telling me what this pill is please? Thanks so much.

• Posted

Its Lorazapen (a generic for Adivan) and its a very small dosage 0.5. It helps to calm my bladder. Im still on maintenance for PTNS. I go once a month for this. Ive had problems for 10 years or more and have tried everything.Noone understands how hard it is to live like this. Of course, I still have bad days but have made such improvement with this PTNS program. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Anne Marie. Thank you fir your quick reply - I'm certainly going to look into this drug! I've done a course of PTNS but sadly it didn't do much for me. I'm glad its helping you though - i guess one size doesn't fit all!

• Posted

Did you ever think of Botox or bulking.My gyn mentioned this to me, but the PTNS seems to be working.I also tried Gelique but it didnt do much for me. I have aprolapsed bladder too and wear a pessiary.

This seems to be doing the job.Let me know ho w you make out.

• Posted

Hi Anne Marie. I was offered botox but I'm really not keen as it can, in some cases, cause paralysis of the bladder and if so, self catheterisation would necessary and I don't want to risk that. I'm trying to lose some weight and see if that helps.

• Posted

I bought a electro Therapy unit, it usesbatteries. It has been a life a life saver. I also take a ativan when needed. My urologist put me on a very low dose of an antidepressant but did not agree with me, but later on my family doctor put me on Zoloft for depression and anxiety, probably caused by ic and other things .

• Posted

Thank you all for your helpful reactions

I didn’t have PTNS, but what i read about it, it is a stimulation of the bladder nerves from the outside. ( the lower side of the leg )? The sacral neurostimulation is the stimulation of the nerve from the inside. Because that didn’t help me, i have little hope PTNS would do anything for me, but i will ask my urologist about it, and thank you for bringing it up.

I am not keen on taking anxiety drugs, but maybe it’s the best way to deal with my situation. Especially when it also calms the bladder down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.