Depression

Posted , 6 users are following.

So I've been living with depression for nearly 18 years, I've tried lots of different antidepressants which haven't worked (side effects outweigh benefits), a CBT course and yet I just can't shake off the depression. I've also just found out that I've been living with a health condition which affects my everyday life - eating, sleeping, talking, the way I look and leaves me in constant pain, which could've have been treated many years ago, but because the doctors fobbed me off with being stressed they totally missed it. This has also contributed to the depression and has left me feeling very anxious and self conscious, I have no friends and even the family support has dwindled after so many years. My condition has reached a point now where the only way to treat it is to carry out invasive surgery which they are apprehensive about carrying out. So now I just feel like I'm in lonely limbo land. Just don't know which way to turn?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Sorry you have been suffering for so long.

I too have other health problems as well as the depression, and im in constant pain too, and its a battle trying to get better, it seems to be a vicious circle, when ones worse, everything is, or when one improves another gets worse! very frustrating.

Can i ask what is the other health problem you are suffering with?

I'm here if you want to chat, don't feel alone with your thoughts.

Take care x

• Posted

Hi Sarah. Sorry this has been going on so long and it must be frustrating but usually the cognitive therapy is the best way to go and it might be that it is worth giving it another try even if you do it with a different person. You may as well .
  • Posted

Poor treatment my doctors was part of my problem too. I'm finally getting counselling to help with my health issues (I have M.E) and it's really helping. I'd strongly advise you to at least give it a try!
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, 

Please understand that you are not alone as i too have health problems and in pain all the time that effects my everyday life. Depression can effect your physical health and physical health can effect your mental health. Please try CBH again it cannot make things any worse. People on here are very supportive and there is always someone to talk to. Best wishes 

• Posted

well reading other peoples' comments, this seems to be a common occurrence since i also have a 'main medical problem'. and i think that that is what caused my depression since enthusiiasm / happiness etc left me before diagnosis. and they only picked up the depression when i was not coping with the main diagnosis and a few years on i am still struggling.....

i have tried CBT. it was a total 20 hours of group sessions. i saw that it really did have positive benefits for some of the people in my group. but did not help me at all becasue when they talked about 'changing my negative thoughts' i couldn't. the negative thought i have is a fact: i am not well, i am enduring lengthy treatment and i cannot be cured. that is a fact, not a thought that can be altered really!. but i don't want to put anyone off. try it by all means but, like the tablets, we have to not expect too much. (sigh)

good luck.

• Posted

I definitely emphasise with this. I think they key is to try and get the most out of our lives despite our poor health, so hard though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.