Depression

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all

I've been on thyroxine since 2006, and finally had my thyroid regulated mid 2009. I have to take 75mcg and 50mcg on alternate days.

Despite this, my fibromyalgia did not get any better and I went on anti depressants for the third time in December 2009. I went on anti depressants because I couldn't cope any more. The anti depressants took away the muscle pain and lifted my mood. I was able to start voluntary work, started cycling, and basically started to enjoy life again.

A month ago, I decided to come off the anti depressant because I started to gain weight. Since I've been off them, I haven't had the muscle pain. The only thing is that my paranoia has crept back and I keep thinking that my close friends are plotting against me!! This was happening before I went on the anti depressants. I'm feeling like a total psycho. I've been really moody with my children and hate everyone around me.

I don't know what to do. If I tell my GP that i'm off the anti depressants, he will blame me and tell me to go back on them.

I really don't want to gain weight but I can't control my thoughts. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Is this depression a separate problem from my thyroid - that's what my GP says?

Please somebody......I hope there is one of you who knows what I'm going through..

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Do you know what your levels are ? as the dose you are on is very low and could well be causing the problems, depression is a symptom of hypo

which may mean you are not fully medicated.

50-75mcg is the usual starting dose, maintenace is 100-125mcg.

Do ask the surgery for your results, TSH should be around 1 and T4 at the top of the range with T3 in the middle.

• Posted

Hi

thanks for replying. When I have an increase in levothyroxine, it brings on paranoia (more like psychosis); extreme anger; my thyroid starts to swell. It's like I go hyperthyroid.

I've seen an endocrinologist over a year ago, and they said they can't do anything and left me to find my own dosage. I settle on taking 75mcg 4x a week and 50mcg 3x a week. Any increase and I go mad than what I already am. My GP says I'm a complicated case.

My body temperature has increased too. I feel hot and bothered and then there are times when I need 2 quilts!! I'm not going back to my GP because they don't want to deal with it and think the best solution is anti depressants.

• Posted

As I said you need to find out your last results, you could be undermedicated or overmedicated, either could be the cause of your symptoms.

It may be that your particular brand of Levo doesn't suit you, some have fillers that don't agree with some people and a change of brand will help.

Also there are some anti ds that don't mix well with Levo, might be worth checking.

The fact that the Endo has left you to it is disgraceful, you clearly have a problem and they should be finding the solution.

I would suggest seeing a different GP, explain the problem and don't be fobbed off, ask to be seen by an Endo again if you don't get anywhere.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks again.

I'll make an appt for another blood test - getting one's going to be a nightmare! They think I'm nothing but trouble but, I always prove them wrong and they find it hard to accept - after all they're supposed to be the professionals.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi, I just thought Id reply to you with my thoughts about coping mentally with things, because the physical & practical side is all doctors deal with really, but its not enough. I should know I went hyperthyroid as a boy, \"nightmare\", had surgery to remove part of my thyroid when I was 15 bringing \"normality\" for some years but became Hypo about 15 yrs ago... Im on 125mg a day but it took quite a while to get right & even now I have ups & downs. I know what you mean about paranoia, but I think its based on fear. The only one going through the condition is yourself, so you tend to feel quite alone and in a bit of a panic, and a bit crazy if you talk to others about it, especially doctors who look blankly at you & have no advice except that you are depressed. Youre probably not depressed at all in reality, just in a strange & isolated position regarding your health like me, and others. Try & work out a strategy to calm yourself down when you feel bad, & tell your own mind to relax and be calm. I let the world wash over me \"until the tide has gone back out\" - if you know what I mean... you have to stay self contained. There are physical strategies that help your mind cope too, like sticking your feet out of bed when you over heat etc. etc. & other odd stuff, you just have to work it all out as you go along. Its not crazy, just different. Look after yourself. x
  • Posted

Thanks Lifer 8)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.