Depression

Posted , 2 users are following.

At about 15 I went on a drug called roaccutane which is for acne which has serious side effects such as depression and suicidal thoughts. Ever since being on this it has changed me making me a much more emotional person. At the time of being on this drug I would say I was depressed and thought of suicide once I went off roaccutane I started to feel better but still not 100%.

I am now 22 and would say the past year or so I have gotten worse - I feel very anxious and constantly worried about my future, I am always tired no matter how much I sleep, at times I loath myself and think I am worthless, I think of not being here anymore and little things make me upset. I hate talking to people about myself and how I'm feeling and I am worried to go the doctors in case they think I am over exaggerating. I don't know what I should do.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you have depression and anxiety I'm on citalopram which is used to treat both depression and anxiety your doctor won't think your over exaggerating they will help you do what's best and see your gp
    • Posted

Thanks i appreciate that, will make an appointment!
    • Posted

That's great you will soon be on the road to your normal happy life smile sure doctors will go finesmile
    • Posted

That's great you will soon be living a normal happy life again sure the doctors will go finesmile
  • Posted

Hi Nadine,

I was put on Roaccutane when I was 12. I also think that it has contributed/caused my depression. I was diagnosed with depression when I was about 14/15 and didn't make the connection with Roaccutane until I was about 22. I'm 24 now. Everytime my acne got bad again, I went back on Roaccutane, despite being depressed. The reality is, that yes, it may have contributed to your depression. I think depression was in my genes before the Roaccutane, but it was was probably made worse by it. I also think that, had I left my skin as it was, I would still be depressed now.

Depression is tough, but I believe had I not been on the Roaccutane, I would still be where I am now. You should go to the doctor and find a way to treat your depression, through whatever way you think suitable to you. We get crappy things thrown at us, first it's acne, which we treat, and then it's depression, which we should find a way to treat. It's rubbish but it's kind of like a rubbishy trade off.

Would I rather still have horrific acne and not be depressed, or would I rather look normal, and be depressed? Not sure.

Doctors are quite familiar with the fact that Roaccutane has been linked with depression and so please don't feel embarrassed or ashamed. If you want to private message me we can chat more, I totally understand what you're going through!

• Posted

Yeah I went on it 3 times was desperate to have good skin so didn't care about the side effects! 

Thanks makes me feel better I am not the only one feeling like this!

Feel much more confident in seeking help from the doctors now 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.