Depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone:  I am getting more and more concerned re the high incidence of Depression in today's world.   I understand the causes in those of us who have medical conditions....and Yes, depression is a Medical condition, too; but how do we help those that are finding life soooo hard, that they develope depression?   I am trying to treat/help too many young teenagers/adults who have all their lives to live/ahead of them, but it is really starting to get to me, too, when there are sometimes nothing for these people to look forward to?  Yes, a GP would automatically put them of an anti-depressant....but is that the only answer....not for me.   I really need some very useful, and yes, insightful reasons, and ways of helping them.  Can anyone give me some advice, knowledge of experiences that are the causative factors, some forward ways of assisting them? Thankyou in advance.....Bron

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bronwyn

I know I keep mentioning this but maybe Cognitive Behaviour Therapy could be a starting point for people with depression rather than being put on anti-depressants. It's a mindful process of thinking and may aid people.

Hope you will find other answers from the wonderful people on this forum. wink x

• Posted

Maybe you'd get some good answers posting in the depression forum? There are some amazingly knowledgeable people there.x
  • Posted

sorry i think the depression in some cases comes from having things to soon , 

theres nothing to look forward .

if you have nothing to look forward to in life its depressing 

life had a structcher before .

you went to school you got a job 

you got a partener  his an old fashion term you courted

got engaged then married built your home together then a family etc 

everyone is in a such a hurry ,today that its all upside down and back to front.  they dont comuncate they dont really date , they have there kids befor there married start of buying everything new for there homes and indebt . you just wonder why that people are depresed 

socity has to have  an order without it it crumbles this is whats happening now . familys are not close by any more for support , kids are having kids 

and the country is a bloody mess because we dont have a lot of industry to employ people in.

lets face it a degree cant gauruntee you a job these days

and how can anyone be hopeful in life when theres very little work and what there is is mindboggling boring and paid awful .

i thought it was bad when i left school in 76 but at least with didnt have zero hours  . we as a country need to put order back in to  socity 

we need to build more social housing run proper aprentships 

and pay a decent wage for regular working hours 

• Posted

I fostered children for years. It's a very difficult one. These teenagers do not open up easily. If you have been told you are useless, or that you are the wrong sex, never had boundaries, never had your point of view valued then self worth and esteem is non existent. Would you not wonder why someone would be bothered to talk to you or take an interest in anything you do.   I found that a car journey helped. Whilst driving there is no eye contact with them sitting in the back, never give them the opportunity of one word answers -  for example instead of saying how was school/college? say tell me one thing that was good today and something that wasn't so good. Cooking too opens up discussions as does the odd trip to bowling, ice skating etc. I also had the help of therapists but it is never easy.  I could go on for hours!
    • Posted

fostering is a wonderful thing to do 

so much hard work and dedication 

thank goodness for people like you  who do this 

and save many children from self destruction

• Posted

Thanks tiswas.  Have given it up now.  The children were wonderful but I am afraid red tape, ridiculous rules, and lack of common sense approach by social workers ruined it for me.  Sad not to be doing it and luckily enough some of the children keep in touch. They are all adults now.
    • Posted

how lovely that they keep in touch 

and what a shame you felt you had to stop doing it 

for such reasons . 

so many more children could have benefitted from your care and many more fosteres that have also given up . 

but it must be wonderful to look at these children all grown up and safe and getting on in the world and that you did so much to help them .

razz

• Posted

Thankyou, all of you for your input...it is all appreciated, and gives me a starting place to start researching this issue....after reading your input/s and asking some young people, which adds upto what you have put in, wil keep me going, finding more aswers, and trying to help these younger people to find ways of moving forward....I would like to give Maggers a special thankyou for all that she has contributed to the younger generation in ensuring that "her" young ones are able to lead a more normal and fulfilling life....and I totally support Tiswas for her input about the reversal of our Society (which goes with Magger's comment re "red tape")......they Do not have anything to look forward to, as you say.....once again, I thank you, and will keep a lookout for anymore inputs.................Bron

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.