Depression

Posted , 4 users are following.

Do you suffer with depresion, and if so has the fibro made it worse?. I suffer with depression, and the fibro has made it worse for me. Just wondering if any of you have experienced the same.

2 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I suffered depression many years ago, and I believe that was due to all the meds I was taking, I have very low self esteem. I am not on any meds apart from herbals at the moment.

Hope you get answers and support from others on this forum.

Gentle hugs to you and take care....wink x

• Posted

Hi Bee I have very low self esteem, I was on antidepressents but I started to get bad  side affects, so I stopped them and Im trying to just battle through it. Im not on any other medication as every tablet pain patches Ive had a severe reaction to. so just use hot water bottles and Ibuprophen and try get through it all the best I can. finding this forum and you lovely ladies has helped me no endsmile thank for replying back and for sharing its much appreiated take care gentle hugsxx and hope your not having too bad a day 
    • Posted

Hi Kaz

I know it's difficult at times, but do someting that makes you happy or think of happy times and staying calm and positive is the best way forward. Have you tried Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT). It's a one to one session with a therapist over a 6-8 week period once a week. It all about mindfulness in your thought process. I found it useful and has made be feel more confident about myself. I only had these sessions Dec 2014. I would recommend to anyone and gives it a try.

We are all here for each other, never feel you are alone or have no-one to chat to you.

Gentle hugs wink x

• Posted

Thank you Bee I will see if my gp will refer me to CBT, thank you for sharing your experience with me and Im so pleased that it worked for you hun take care gentle hugssmile
  • Posted

I do not like to say I am depressed but rather I am having a not so Elaine Day!

Sometimes you be so uncomfortable with the pian and feel others tire of

hearing,I don't feel like it today,I have pain today......until we can easily mistake it for

something worse.And then,,

• Posted

Hi elaine I know where your coming from. When people ask how I am I just say oh ploding on. Or not haveing the greatest of days to day. sometimes I put things on a scale of 1-10 1 having a good day 10 really bad day, What Im trying to do but it depends on what sort of a day Im having is ive been trying to block fibro out just try to carry on as normal but more of a snails pace if that makes sense. Whts not helping is problems with an 18 year old son causing me a great deal of stress. Thats not helping my depression but hey ho onwards upwards I will battle on. Thank you for your help take care gentle hugs  
  • Posted

I used to be quite severely depressed and on high doses of antidepressants, all due to many life factors. I eventually went to see a psychologist and spent 3 years in therapy. I truly thought I had it under control and managed to come of my medication.

When I began having fibro symptoms I felt many of my depressive behaviours re emerging. I then spent another year on medication but at a much lower dose than before. Finally, when I was diagnosed, I was elated as I now knew I wasn't losing my mind and there really was something wrong with me. That elation was short lived, as the past 5 months I have felt that black dog following me around again. I really don't want to go back on meds for it though and I have begun meditation and acupuncture. I still have dark days but I feel much more in control. 

By the way, it's well known that long term health conditions, especially long term chronic pain, can cause depression. This makes pain feel more intense, which makes us feel more depressed. It's a vicious circle but one that can be broke. 

Gentle hugs

• Posted

I love that last paragraph and will keep that in mind. Continue under doctors care for all others.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa, Kaz and ALL;  yes, I think all of us have the Depression....especially for me, in the beginnng, before I Realized that there was Something else going on with my body.....I actually thought is Was Just Depression....but then starting thinking No....these symptoms arn't Depression.....and when I was actually diagnosed, I Felt such Relief, to know that it wasn't Depression, relating to what I had been through Emotionally, but that the Emotional Trauma had actually caused the Fibro.....I do also feel that the Amitriptylline, that controls my pain, also does relieve the side effects of Depression which can come with All of the Pain....I agree that it is a Vicious Cycle, but once we have Accepted our Condition/s....we concentrate on finding ways to alleviate the pain/side affects (hot/cold feelings/muscle pain/numbness/headaches  etc), and conditon ourselves to what we can do....the Depression lifts, and our lives can become less Emotional.......hoping that this helps others, as this has helped me, and Yes I do think that CBT would help many to Recognize this, and find ways of Reaching the Equalibrium that our Minds need....Bron
    • Posted

well put bronwyn and very true Im still coming to terms with it but once I have and can find a way to eliviate the pain Im sure the emotional side will become better. having the support on here is a very big help also gentle hugs thank you for sharing
    • Posted

Hi lisa Ive suffered with depression for a while and was put on antidepressents. but I had such bad side affects that I stopped taking them I did notice a big change with the depression since I ve had fibro. the fibro seems of made it much worse. I just battle through it the best I can,and try to think positive easier said than done at times. I try find ways of lifting my spirits by way of a treat eg flowers, and also when I help others it helps to lift me as it helps you to feel good about yourself. I raise money for the british heart foundation they do research into heart disease.I raise money by donateing goods for them to sell, so far Ive raise nearly £2,000. If I can help and make a differance to some 1 life, then Ive achieved something and done some good in the world. My depression started from an unhappy child hood and forever being put down. people dont realize the damage that they are causing.You it the nail on the head when you said about being in control. we need to have some control in our lives. thank you for sharing lisa it helped me alot take care gentle hugs hope you have a good weekendsmile  
  • Posted

Well done Kaz on your fund raising. That is a great achievement in itself. wink x
    • Posted

Thank you Bee I try my bestsmile x
  • Posted

Hi Kaz

iv been suffering with Depression for most of my adult life & im in my 50s now

i was diagnosed with fibro earlier this year & although it was nice to have a diagnosis i feel worse,i dont have anyone to talk to,but i have only just moved due to a marriage break up so that hasnt helped,i have been moved to an area where i dont know anyone & i am feeling quite isolated... my family live in oxfordshire & im in Tetbury area... the doctors put me on Amatryptaline which helps me to sleep but does nothing for the pain .... can i ask what the doctors gave you to help with the pain .... Dawn

• Posted

Hi Dawn

Please don't feel isolated.  We are all here for you on this wonderful forum.  Please feel free to share all your experiences with us and have a bit of a laugh along the way.  It's a healthy option with such lovely people on this forum.

Sending you a BIG gentle hug from ME to YOU.....wink xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.