depression

Posted , 4 users are following.

my question is:how do I start?

ok.i go the docs.thats the start of the problem.

how do I sit in the chair and wait for the question"how can I help?".

how do I open my mouth and tell him I think I'm depressed.honestly.i can't see how I do it.where do i start.

no doubt he'll when and how did it start.but I've no idea.my days of thinking straight are gone.

truth is I don't know how to talk.anyone else feel like this?I could go on forever but where's it getting me.

anyone know?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi ivan.. depression shuts down our confidence & brings on confusion also.  It hard to describe our periods of depression.  What brings on a state of depression can be hard to pinpoint.  Write all down ivan, make a journal & take it with you to the Doctors.. Let him/she know that you are feeling uncomfortable with some questions that may be asked..  Im sure that once you have made that massive step, let the Doctor do his/her fare share of work to help in your recovery..  GOOD LUCK ivan xx

• Posted

thankyou for your time.so kind.another thing I've seem to have lost.kindness.i don't know how to do the first step.i think it's just occurred to me it's maybe I'm frightened.i don't know.anyhow,many thanks.take care.ivan.

• Posted

awwww thank you ivan for returning kindness..  Its ok to feel anxious & frightened..  Try not to work to hard on what you should say.. a few words is all you need to start with eg; 'morning/afternoon' as a greating response, admit 'Im nervous coming here' and 'I need help for my depression'.. Hand him your notes that jotted down by recording the days you struggle with, your thoughts, how a particular day or days affected your mood swings.. things that you find hard to cope with.. Its easy for me to say things to you ivan.. all I want is to encourage you ok champ wink  Once you have made that scary visit,  you will feel more relaxed on your return visits..  Doctors deal with soooo many people on a daily basis just like you ivan.. you would be so surprised to know just how many, no kidding.. Be brave champ,  you can do this.. tons of hugs lol

• Posted

Write down what your typical day is like. Which parts of the day are you dissatisfied with and feel depressed. Since you may have limited time with the doctor tell your conclusions and why you feel depressed . do you need lab tests,change your diet, get more exercise, more sunlight? Has any recent event made you feel depressed? be ready with your answers and be ready with your questions
  • Posted

ivan, I'm sorry you're feeling this way.  But you sound like you have some great things going for you: 1) you know something's not right, and it might be depression; 2) you know you should talk to a/your doctor about it 3) it sounds like you are fairly early in your depression - the sooner you start turning it around, working on it, the sooner you'll be well, the better able you'll be able to turn it around more quickly because you won't let it get worse.

It's hard to talk to doctors about anything, but when you don't know exactly what's going on it's even harder.  Here are some statements that people make when they're depressed.  If any of them apply to you, then use them.  If you can't talk, then write "I don't seem to have the energy to talk much lately" on a piece of paper, as well as your other statements, and hand it to your doctor.  You can go in with an article from the web or a magazine/newspaper, or a book, that seems to describe how you feel and show him that.  The point is to communicate how you are feeling.

Anyway, here are those statements:

I just don't have any energy.  I can't seem to get out of bed.

I don't enjoy things I used to.  I just want to stay in and sleep.

I don't want to be with people any more.  I'd rather be alone.

I feel sad all the time, but I don't know why.

I sleep all the time.  OR I don't sleep much any more.

I can't remember the last time I laughed/went out with friends/had a good time.

I don't know what's changed or why I feel this way...I just know I'm not myself.

If there have been any major changes in your life, write them down.  Like:

Parents divorced.  You divorced/ended relationship.  Someone in family died or moved away.  You/your family is having serious money problems .. lost a house due to money problems.  Mom or Dad lost a job, or you did.  You lost a child.  You failed a big exam.  You're addicted to drugs, alcohol, tobacco, food and can't get off.  A trip or a gift you've been waiting a long time for and were going to get was cancelled.  You or someone you love was victim of a crime.  You fell or were in an accident and had some serious injuries...

The idea is, trauma (and something small to me could be a huge truma to you, and vice versa) of almost any kind can affect the chemicals of your body, as can thinking negative thoughts over and over.  They tend to weaken the connections among chemicals like dopamine - a major "makes me feel great!" chemical - so that you get a lot less and therefore don't feel so great.  Chemical changes also can affect the seratonin in your brain, and that can make you feel very down and even depressed.  That happens and you think darker thoughts, chemicals get lower, the cycle just goes round and round while you go down and down.  You've got to break the cycle.  Antidepressants and cognitive behaviorial therapy are great for that.  See the book "The New Mood Therapy" by David Burns a US author.

This is do-able - and you are the one who has to do it.  Keep talking to others but find the positive ones -- don't let people bring you down.  Ivan, know that I am not a doctor.  Just someone who has had terrible depression, lost the ability and will to talk, and conquered it - put depression into remission.  These are my thoughts.  Good luck and god bless you. 

• Posted

The Dr will do a test to see the extent of depression you have then he will decide on a course of action. Nothing to worry about really.
  • Posted

The Mind website has some resources you can print out to help you discuss things with your doctor. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.