depression

Posted , 8 users are following.

Is it common for seniors to get depression ?     I have suffered for a long time on and off with it, but very mildly.    However it seems worse now I am in my seventies.   Don't want to take anti-depressants, because I have had bad reactions in the past and have ended up in A & E.

I would like to hear from anybody if you suffer from depression and what do you take, or do to try to combat it.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you have not had 100's of electro convulsive therapys, if you have not become vaginial and rectal incontinent due to depression, if you can manage bathe and dress yourself on your own, your depression is not that bad.  Put things into perspective and count yourself lucky.  I am writing this post on behalf of another person as they have lost the ability for complex though and the ability to use a computer.

• Posted

Sure, there are various degrees of depression, and yes I do count myself lucky.   I have a loving husband, a good relationship with my son and daughter plus 4 lovely grandchildren.   However, without being too rude, your comments are a little insensitive.  If you have depression, you have it.  You don't ask for it.   I am not as bad as your friend, but black dog deep depression is still horrible and we are all hit with it in different ways.

• Posted

Right on Angela!  Just because we do not lay in bed all day does not mean we do feel depression! No matter what your symptoms are it sucks!
    • Posted

Apologies Angela I did not mean to be insensitive. I am crazy from all the suffering. Please forgive me.
  • Posted

Somebody on this post said that some spices and I suppose some herbs can help the big "D".       Does anybody know what they are ?    I know that Cinnamon helps your blood sugar levels and I sprinkle this on my cereals.   So far, it hasn't helped !!

• Posted

Hi Angela,

google "natural remedies for depression" but be careful what you take as some can't be taken with anxiety/depression medication.

I take magnesium, vitD but can't say that they help much,

how are you?

take care

Sxx

• Posted

Curcumin. Google spices that help depression. Google herbs that help depression
  • Posted

I have written before and since then, my depression has not re-occurred, until 2 days ago that is.

Being a senior citizen, things seem to affect us.  Anyway 2 days ago we had one of our cats put to sleep and I have been so miserable and depressed since then and keep crying.   I hope I will be back to more my old self, but at the moment I'm finding it so hard.  People that don't have pets don't realise your grief and loss.

• Posted

Your depression this time is very normal! You have lost a loving pet that is considered a member of the family! I have a 13 yr old lab that I look at every day and think what will I do when I lose him! Deprssion seems to stick with me a lot lately and I hope to slay this enemy soon and be able to live the rest of my life free from this! God Bless You!
    • Posted

Bless you Wilb for replying.  I hope your labrador continues to have good health.  Such a lovely breed and no wonder they are used for Guide Dogs.

I hope you too find relief from the black dog soon.  Winston Churchill's name for it is very apt.   I will sign in here from time to time to see how you are getting on.    Your message was very comforting. God Bless you toosmile

Please feel free to message me again a.s.a.p,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.