Depression

Posted , 9 users are following.

I hear a lot about depression and RA. I don't have depression but got to wondering the reasons people got depressed. If you have depression do you think it is because of the loss of your lifestyle or the pain you are in? maybe both? Effects of meds like prednisone?  What is your reason for being depressed? 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

loss of lifestyle, never ending pain, lack of a light at the end of the tunnel and realising is only going to get worse.
  • Posted

River

I think its both the lifestyle change and pain.

Lifestyle might have more impact but its influence is also related to, in my case, age. I have to admit that it's not just RA but loss of what used to be my normal. But I can't be sure just how much is age related.

Almost two years ago my rhuemy flat out asked if I was depressed and I had to say yes! To her credit I believe it was then she pushed harder and put me on Enbrel which really has helped me.

Because of the improvement and less pain I didn't refill my first Rx for depression. Don't remember taking it more than a few weeks.

So while I can certainly credit successful meds to my improved RA it has without a doubt helped my overall wellbeing.

I find I get pain from overdoing little things but not RA pain so that means it's more likely that I'm getting older and can't do what I used to. Yep makes me a little blue but I'm ok. I want to find joy in getting older. There's not much to look forward to if all I'm worried about is what I can't do.

I'm almost 60. If there's an age it starts to dawn on a person of the reality of aging, I'm probably there!

But you also brought up another topic which is the medication itself causing side effects. I can't comment personally on that but I know others can.

Wow great question!

To better days!

Em

• Posted

Hi river,yep my husband who has ra and I myself have fibro and that is

exactly it.It is the loss of being able to function like we did before.

We are in our mid fifties and have to scale back on everything

we do.We have to think about what we can or can't do for the day.

It stinks to not have the energy any more.Each day we never know

what we will be able to do.We have friends in their 70's that live

more active lifestyles.For us it's the desire to just want to go do

whatever we want and knowing we can't.Very depressing at times

• Posted

Agree totally. I am a 'glass half full' person until I cannot do the things I want to do. Depresson for me only comes when RA limits my abilities. I am a very active person and not being able to maintain that can get to me sometimes.

• Posted

exactly collette confused for the most part through the week we do alright

but when the weekend comes the body just wants to loaf

and do nothing and the other half says nope enjoy something

• Posted

I have found myself getting sad and teary eyed at the drop of a hat when I am on prednisone. Sometimes I look in the mirror and see an old person and wonder how the hell did I get here so fast? I can see where someone would get depressed when they cannot be relieved of pain. I feel so bad for those people. ((hugs to all of you))
    • Posted

Hugs hugs river biggrin remember were all in this together

• Posted

I'm 66 and don't suffer from lack of energy at all, problem is joints just don't work anymore.   16 months ago I rode my bike 20-30 klm 3-4 times a week, did sit ups, push ups and lifted a few weights every day.   I also went sailing, bushwalking swimming and loads of other stuff, now I can't do a thing without immense pain.   When I look in the mirror all I see is two horribly mishapen arms and a sad, sad face.   I'm starting to come to terms with my RA being untreatable.

• Posted

Hi river22, I reiterate, what a great question. I certainly felt quite depressed on first diagnosis, but mainly because nothing was happening quickly enough and my joints were showing deterioration, plus the damned fatigue. The drugs to treat depression are often not the answer because if side effects so I was reluctant to take them , I never had anxiety, so maybe that would have changed my mind. I think its more a sadness that the fit person you were has gone and having to accept a very different lifestyle change was hard for me. I have always been a "participator" and the thought of sitting in my home looking out of the windows at the day frankly filled me with dread. I do think I have some acceptance now, and respond to my body most of the time....(which I think is trying its best to make me well) to rest when I feel I should and to GO whrn I can too! There are worse diagnoses I am certain, with the righf drugs I can lead a more full life, I have had to make changes, as has my partner, but its a process! Still get teary though! Think its my grief for what once was really

n the beginning

• Posted

I understand completely. I was very active when I was diagnosed. Now all I hear is "be careful, you'll get your shoulders hurting" Be careful this, be careful that until you feel like a vegetable.

• Posted

I agree with you and treezsh and others who have commented.  I have had a long history of chronic depression and so was on and off meds for many yrs. But about 6 months before RA diagnosis the depression med was stopped at my request.  I did well but after the diagnosis and change in my lifestyle my depressed feelings returned.  I started back on a med. but at a very low dose.  I feel better mentally but no pills are going to take away the sorrow of change in lifestyle and pain.   I was also out and about daily, in an aerobics class I loved among other things.  Now much more fatigued, pain and have to stick around home much more.  It takes a life style adjustment and  acceptance but still not a  giving up attitude

Thanks for the question so we can add our thoughts to the discussion

• Posted

Its the fatigue that makes me depressed. I can handle the pain. But the constant exhaustion is hard to deal with 😐

• Posted

Hi Karen, firstly dont give up....I promise you there are things tgat will help with the fatigue, I agree its the worst, I think I would rather have my body fall apart than my mind! First try Efamol evening oil of primrose, only Efamol will do... eat carefully,avoid rubbish, lots of fruit and veg, avoid red meat. Get out in the fresh air every day whatever the weather and find 3 small things you are thankful for... it worked for me and I pray it will for you, the person who said "we are in this together" is right ....we are!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.