Depression

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm alost 3 weeks out from TKR and I'm 46. I seem to get really depressed every 3 days. I'm not in tons of pain. I wonder if it's a side effect to pain medication.

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carol

You will go though highs & lows I think it's part of the recovery process, stay upbeat and do your exercises and hopefully the weather wiil change 🙈If u r in the uk ,I'm 5 months on and doing ok including golfing and cycling

It is a massive operation, but trust me it does get better

Take care

Rob x

• Posted

Hi Robert justa a quick on im 5 months post op as you are going to try my first round of golf this week did you feel ok after yours

cheers johnny.

• Posted

It could be a side effect of the medication but it could also just be a realisation of what you have had done as in terms of a TKR you are young ( im only 42 as well ).

I think the key is just trying to stay positive and think what benefits it will bring and how much better life will be . I know its easier said than done but we have to try. I can already see that im not in the pain i was previously and once its healed further then it will be even better than it is now so will be time to have the other one done 🙁🙁. Just keep smiling and try think of the benefits and how you felt before the op xxxxx

• Posted

Hi Carol. Don't know you personally so I don't know your circumstances. But it could just be the after effects of the operation. You can't at the moment do what you normally do. You are slower at every day activities. I'm 12 weeks after my op. Recently gone back to work and that has helped. I was on my own at home during the day and I was bored out of my mind. So if this is the same for you, that could be making you feel low. If you are worried, speak to your doctor... hope you start feeling better soon.....

• Posted

Hi Carol. I'm post op 3 weeks, aged 40 and I can totally relate to this, the tears flow or I get so frustrated and then I have a good day every second or third (is it our age?!!) . I've read a few of these discussions some have made me smile, most have been very helpful. Today could of so easily been a tear flowing day, I think a few did leak out this morning. No real advice, just letting you know your not on your own.

Stay positive and go easy on yourself

Michelle

• Posted

Hi Carol, May I ask what is the medication you're taking?

• Posted

Hi Carol

Yeah we all know how it feels! You've gone through the highs & lows of TKR surgery & now, mentally, you think things should return to normal.

Your body, however, is not playing the game! You still can't do things you could before the op. You're tired & feel useless!

You're not useless just in the post op period of recouperation! You just need to give yourself a break. You will get stronger, you will be able to do more, you will eventually be able to do things you couldn't due to your knee problems.

Give yourself time & if you feel down try to find something to occupy your mind.

You WILL get there.

Take care

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

I found this awesome website for the same reason....I Googled "depression after a knee replacement."  It was very reassuring to read that it's a normal reaction to this surgery.  I've had many other surgeries but the TKR was different.  Pain horrific first few weeks, couldn't sleep etc.  The depression is normal and WILL go away.  Hang in there!

• Posted

I ran into this in 2009 when I had my hip replaced.  4 days hospital, 5 days rehab then I got home...and started crying incessantly.  Called my doctor cousin and told him what was going on.  His response: "The doc never told you about Post-Operative Depression?"

Very, very common in procedures that REMOVE part of your original "self"...kind of a grieving/loss thing.  If you know what it is, you can accept it and move on.  It's just a Jedi mind trick after all.  Kick its butt to the curb and move on.

• Posted

Opiates can cause short term depression but the surgery and rehab can do so as well. Suddenly you are in pain, dependent on others, unable to sleep, confused about your healing process, changing your eating habits plus trying to handle a new exercise protocol. Whose to say you shouldn't experience a little depression on and off. Stay with the program, use the pain meds as prescribed, drink plenty of water so you eliminate the possibility of dehydration and constipation that opiates can produce. Don't get discouraged as you go through many stages of this process. I've been through 11 surg ER he's which include 5 complete rehabs. It doesnt get any easier but you will make it. Nothing should come as a major surprise and some of these will go away and suddenly pop up again for a short periods. Be patient...b

• Posted

Hi Carol, I'd just like to let you know that I'm just the same as you. I'm 5 weeks post op this Tuesday and some days I feel like I'm making some slight progress then wham the next day I'm in so much pain and feeling very teary and down. I've said on numerous occasions that I wish I hadn't had this horrific operation done, but hopefully in a few months I'll be saying it was all worth while. xx

• Posted

Hi Ali, hang on in there.

You WILL feel better about the whole experience, hopefully in WEEKS rather than months.

This does get easier, esp once you're more active & less painful.

All the best

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.