depression

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been given diazepam to take three years ago alongside anti deps.  I cannot take these anti deps, they give me such side effects.  However i have continued with the diazepam for anxiety and have ended up with 5mg to sleep and 2mg in daytime.  I have tried other things like mindfulness and cbt but cannot engage.  I understand the principles but feel too ill to get anywhere. My life is passing me by and i cant move forward. What hope is there for me

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

yes there is hope. try something different to CBT?
  • Posted

It sounds like you have depression and your not taking the antidepressants the side effects of antidepressants subside after the first couple of weeks and for some they can have good results in alleviating depression also if the ones you have been prescribed really cause bad side effects go back to your GP to try some different ones. You are taking the diazepan which is not a antidepressant but anti anxiety and can in fact make your mood much worse and is also very addictive. Please go back to your GP and tell him your situation I had to try a few different antidepressants until I found one what worked and it really turned my life around and when I came off them the depression didn't return. Don't let life pass you by my lovely cbt may work for some others it has no effect. You have nothing to loose by going back to the GP and trying alternative antidepressants but remember their side effects do subside after a couple of weeks. Have you got friends and family around you or are you alone? Please don't despair things can and will improve am sending a big hug from one fellow former sufferer to another xx🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

• Posted

There is hope Ann ...

You're recognising right now that things are getting bad so please this is just the time you need to engage.. just when it's the time you dont want too !!!!.

sometimes in our darkest hours and we feel we've tried everything. You may not feel it but you can do this.reach out again.

You're reaching out right now. Thats a start Believed me I've struggled and not gone to appointments. Canceled last minute.then when I have been I've not wanted to be there. I didn't click with that person although very nice. Maybe wrong timing. I do not knock the NHS. Went on struggling for year's. ..

However years later in fact 3 I give cbt another try with fresh eyes. A last ditch attempt so to speak . after trying everything myself like you I didn't know what else to do. !!

I thought look what harm can it do nothing else has worked. It's and hour a week.It's very gentle but can be tiring. Also if you have had upsetting times you may need to talk of this but they are very sensitive.

I was on my 6the one and I had to move 400 miles away suddenly. I was gutted as it stopped. I felt so much better I'm not kidding after the third one. I

I was very sceptical of this before. So I looked into it. It's been around since the 1960s but they were researching in 1920s.

AFTER so many years of trying... 25 !!! 16 different drugs to get the right balance. I had Therapy councling books selfhelp a cpn.

You say the pharmaceutical route isn't for you and I get that my partner struggles with this so he is now going ahead at 47 with it privately.

I am 39 now and begging them now to reconnect with someone who can do this for me on the NHS

Sorry the long reply

I do really know how hard it is but think it's and hour it's for you. It's your time. See what you get you get out of it...

Whatever you decide I hope you can find the strength to find the help.you need

Take care Anne

Xxx

• Posted

Hi I had to try 2 other ad's until I found one that suited me and didn't give me the nasty side effects.  Also it can take up to 6 weeks for them to get fully into your system and it is very common to feel worse for a while until they do. 

With the right treatment you will feel well enough to start tackling your issues so please go back and see your doctor.  I know it feels hopeless now but this is the depression talking.  

• Posted

Hi Ann - 3 years on diazepam - no wonder you can't engage. Diazepam is highly addictive and you will need to wean yourself off that. See your doc and talk about other meds to deal with your depression. Feeling better will come in time, meanwhile you have to do the hard yards. You need to take action to change the story of your life. That is where the hope is - it's up to you.

• Posted

Dr has prescribed anti dep i had two years ago but higher dose. I feel terrible on it, worse than last time, migraines, hyped anxiety and depressed. I asked about tapering off diaz but was told it is such a small dose just do it yourself slowly.  This is killing me, if anything i seem to need more,  dropping 1mg a day has seemed imposssible.  What can a psych do to help me get off this? My every day revolves round taking half,then half then half, then i take 5 at night to,sleep.  He had me on zopiclone but i weaned off that by usind diazepam 2 years ago.
    • Posted

Hi Ann - thanks for responding. Yes, the dosage of diazepam is small. I'm thinking perhaps, since you are dosing several times a day on 1 mg, perhaps you could skip a dose for a week or two, then skip another dose after that until you are free. Even taking a substitute lolly or something, telling yourself it's actually the dsoe of diazepam. The anti dep med might make you feel on edge and in pain to begin with, but if this persists, stop the dosage and consult for another type of med. Is your doctor listening to you? Would it be difficult for you to consult another doctor? Another opinion is always helpful and may be the answer you need. Also, the psychologist can help with dealing with any underlying issues and can suggest coping skills for anxiety which will help wean you off the diazepam. Psychology appointments are a compliment to any anti depressant medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.