Depression

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys just joined the forum, I was diagnosed with depression at 7 years old now 22, I'm not sure why I'm here but with recent attempted suicides I feel it's my last chance, what I look for is likeminded people to help me through this! I want to beat it and I've failed so far and end up hurting people I love so please help me! I don't want to go on anti depressants as I've seen what they do to people thanks 😁

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi marc41068

We note from a recent post which you have made to our forum that you may be experiencing thoughts around self-harm. If we have misinterpreted your comments then we apologies for contacting you directly. But if you are having such thoughts then please note that you are not alone in this, and there are people out there that can help.

If you are having these suicidal thoughts then we strongly recommend you speak to someone who may be able to help. The Samaritans offer a safe space where you can talk openly about what you are going through. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or just be there to listen.

Their contact details are on our patient information leaflet here: https://patient.info/health/dealing-with-suicidal-thoughts, which also offers lots of other advice on how you can access the help you may need.

If you are having such thoughts then please do reach out to the team at the Samaritans (or the other people detailed in our leaflet) who will understand what you're going through and will be able to help.

Kindest regards

Patient

• Posted

Hi Marc i am sorry sorry to read of your depression and suicide attempts please feel free to message me anytime i know how you head runs away but there is light at the end of the tunnel and taking one step at a time makes it easy.  Join a group maybe a dance group meet new people get out of the rut of everyday routine.   Please dont do anything silly we have all been down this road and i hit rock bottom but fighting my way back one day at a time and i thought everyone hated me but i need to learn to like myself again. 

• Posted

Hi Marc ,

Welcome to the site, let's hope we can help you. Most difficulties in life have several solutions, suicide is not one of them-its the final solution.

Please consider anti depressives,  I am on fluoxetine 40mgs per day, there are others if one is not successful. All they do is help stabilise your depression. I have been on them for 3 years now and they definitely help me.

You will receive lots of support from like minded people here, please give it a go.

Mike.

• Posted

Hello Marc and welcome. I am so glad that you wrote to us! So sorry that you are suffering.  Marc I also have had depression forever but have had great success with antidepressants and therapy. Therapy helped me get to my underlying issues and that was my goal. I don't know Marc what negative results that you have seen from others with meds but in a serious case like yours I do hope that you will consider yourself important enough to try and save yourself. You are important and deserve a good life a high quality of life. We care on this site and do understand. Please keep us posted. Diane

• Posted

Marc

Depression is a real illness that will sap your strength and  prevent you moving on to a life that can be waiting for you.

You have explained you have suffered since seven years old and now you are a young adult, you have also mentioned that you have tried suicide on several occasions. If this is the case you need to make an appointment with your GP, a double appointment can be recommended. Make a list of all your concerns and any causes of this condition you suffer from. A treatment pathway will be suggested to help you move on.

Medications are part of most treatment plans, that will help make you responsive to  any CBT Talking Therapies etc.

With regard suicide attempts, if you have these feelings contact NHS Information Line on Tel 111. explain what is happening. You can gain support here or also call Samaritans to talk out your immediate concerns.

If you are given AD medications give the drug around five weeks to work well, there may be an increase at four five weeks of this drug.

One thing you need to understand you will be given support and understanding, although it is up to you to work upon the negative feelings and associations  caused by this illness

BOB

• Posted

Hi Marc - anti depressants affect people in different ways. What works for me may not work for you and vice-versa. There is a long list of meds available and the answer may well be somewhere in there for you. Talk to your doctor about your fears. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.