Depression

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey guys i suffer from really bad depression and anxiety and panic attacks i also suffer from irritable bowel syndrome and a hiatal hernia

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi clarissa! As a sufferer of hiatal hernia And GERD myself with sometimes IBS, I get bad anxiety and feel depressed too.

In my experience and from what I have been reading , gut problems and anxiety sometimes go hand in hand. I am not sure what causes the other though.

My advise to you is, see a doctor and don't be afraid to discuss your fears with him.

It's a tough road but so are we.

Wish you the best of luck.

You are not alone.

• Posted

Hi Clarrisa, I also suffer from depression and anxiety off and on and IBS also. There is a link between brain and gut. I'm compiling a food diary at the moment to show to my doctor next week. One trigger seems to be coffee. Are you in counselling? Exercise helps as well. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi clarissa 42245,

I'd say see a doctor too, but in the mean time, I'd highly recommend St John's wort (can't be taken if you're on the pill). I've been using it for depression for years and it works well with no side effects. Have you thought about using probiotics for IBS? I make my own water kefir (it's pretty easy to make), which has helped with my ongoing constipation.

• Posted

Hi clarissa 42245,

I'd say see a doctor too, but in the mean time, I'd highly recommend St John's wort (can't be taken if you're on the pill). I've been using it for depression for years and it works well with no side effects. Have you thought about using probiotics for IBS? I make my own water kefir (it's pretty easy to make), which has helped with my ongoing constipation.

• Posted

It took years before I was given this information First the saying If you're Gut's not happy Your not happy Serotonin is made in the gut When it's messed up Your brain levels lower Hence the depression I went for years not understanding this I was found to have a hiatel hernia along with a bunch of gut problems I need surgery But have had a zillion reasons that keep me from doing it Also Having a hiatel hernia actually can cause extreme tummy trouble and ruin your intestines You feel awful I was told a lot of my issues will go away once I save the date of surgery I am on depression and anxiety meds while I'm dealing with it I feel for you It's a crappy problem (pun intended) I wish you all the best in the world My thoughts are with you

• Posted

1. You are so very welcome
    • Posted

Now that means the world to me I so much appreciate you saying that I must say I had some very dark times But I have this belief Things sometimes things really do happen for a reason Nothing I am doing right now would be happening or have happened to that are awesome had I not fell into depression and fell ill As I'm sitting here still in belly pain I know in my heart I'll be back in my car zooming all over I have me wonderful people I actually got on Twitter I became desperate for human interaction Luckily it has been a positive experience They have tons of advocacy groups and regular people that deal with Mental health on there You can literally find anything on Twitter If you like pincushions You can find folks who also love pin cushions LOL It's crazy Another thing that helped was seeing the psych doc I didn't want to say anything but St Johns wart is wonderful Unless you have certain issuesNot all Some people can But I spent much more time in the bathroom There is another herbal depression medicine I'll have to ask my daughter the name It's actually better and less side effects Not that regular meds dont However I found some meds with my doc that that changed everything for me I was literally thinking I was going to be trapped in a prison of my brain forever My daughter is a doctor and she believes so many actual health problems are overlooked with the easy out of a doctor simply saying You'tr just depressed She believes 100% that if doctors took more time to follow thru they might actually find something You did the absolute best thing You reached out in this forum Knowing someone is where you've been or going thru it together is priceless Unless you have been truly depressed It's a feeling that is not explained easily I am not 100% But 100% better than I was I still get low when the pain comes But it pases now I'm so pleased I reached out you

Keep in touchAllyHugs

• Posted

Dear clarissa,

Depression, anxiety and panic attacks are the most common disorders these days because of the stressful life we have. Your hernia problem, in my opinion is more of a psychological problem than a physical. Staying stressful most of the time not only affects our Gastrointestinal track but can also affect other organs and can lead to multiple illnesses. We sometimes are hesitant to consult a psychiatrist but the research shows most of the people feel much better about themselves by just having a session of counseling.

Some people have a perception, that anti-psychotics cause much harm than benefit, but its not true. Your doctor will ask in detail about your condition and about your complete family history, to make sure whether you are the right person to be prescribed any anti-psychotic drug. If needed you will be referred to a Gastroenterologist.

Some suggestion I would like to give is don't think of something again and again, it will only exaggerate your thoughts and it starts building up your problem. If you have any depressing thoughts do not keep yourself isolated, go out meet people, people who care for you and who are optimistic. Correct your sleeping habits, sleep early and wake up early. For your hernia problem, avoid junk food, oily food and eat on time, do not starve yourself, drink lots of water.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

• Posted

I hate having depression anxiety and panic attacks that are really bad I have melt downs I feel sick of it

• Posted

I can understand. I have a suggestion, try to sleep early and wake up early morning and try to go out for a walk early morning, watch the sun rising. It helps most people tremendously. Remember you are not alone, some way or the other we all go through this stage. Be optimistic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.