Depression after operation ???

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I have recently been experiencing severe depression to the point of suicidal thoughts and a very near attempt.

I'm a 26 year old woman and have had several operations last year (last one was in September). I've discovered something called "Post-operative depression" which is found in many patients after major surgery.

With each operation, I had general anaesthetic and I read that this can decrease B12 causing depression and anxiety etc. I have past history of anxiety too.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks,

J

x

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I experienced a major depression after a surgery, but I was not feeling great before, but after I went into a deep in depression. It is sure an operation does not help for a depression. I am on an antidepressant and I feel almost normal, there is hope at the end of the tunnel,
  • Posted

Hi j:  Sweetie, I'm so sorry you are in a deep depression.  I've suffered from depression for most of my life off and on.  One thing I want to tell the group is this...when I was 32 yrs. old, I started developing bad allergies from dust, pollen, etc.  My allergist started giving me allergy shots, which contained Metrol and Decadron.  After a few weeks I was falling into a terrible state of confusion, agitation, and depression.  I had no idea it was the steroids doing this to me.  If you are on anything like this, please check with your doctor.  I got off of them and started getting better right away.  In some people, cortisone will really mess you up mentally.  I hope this helps, and wishing you better mental health...
  • Posted

Hi j I've had an op 6 months ago and suffered terrible depression to the point of wrighing suicide letters, but I beat it i got out more even if I didn't want to and i found talking really helps there is light at the end of the tunnel if I got through it you can positive girl you can do it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.