Depression after psychosis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, have had depression after going through psychosis and am thinking of changing my antidepressant. At present am on citralopram 40mg, aripiprazole 15mg and lithium 1000mg. Any ideas what antidepressant and has anyone else been through this?

Thanks

Louise

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Ive been thro psychosis - it lasted about 9 days -terrifying experience - was on efexor at the time and had been for 15 years. I was taken off efexor and recovered from psychosis after a few days being off it and was just given zopiclone to sleep. I then went high - and was given 600mg quetiapine, a month later i hit the pit of the worst ever depression. Back on efexor plus the quetiapine plus diazepam, then changed to lithium plus efexor, and mirtazapine was added. Still nowhere near right and this has been going on 16 months now.

x

• Posted

I was psychotic for two months, is awful when you come round. Have not tried first-round, though. I just feel really out of it and flat. Maybe a change of antidepressant is needed. Is a long road getting better, hang in there too.
  • Posted

Hi I have Amisulpride for schizophrenia, Pregabalin for anxiety and mirtazapine for depression. I'm on the top does of Mirtazapine and it's the only dose that's worked for me. I've tried 4 different meds for depression over the years and this is the best one for me.

That said.. It does however make me extremely drowsy but I think my zopiclone sleeping tablet adds to this. I'm so drowsy I can't work while taking the Mirtazapine, so I only use it during an a cute phase. I hate the drug for this.. But it really helps me during a crisis

• Posted

Thanks inmate, am gonna look into changing my antidepressant, but am working part time, so the drowsiness would be a problem. Will see what doc says.
  • Posted

I would suggest escitalopram. Although it is more commonly prescribed for people with anxiety. It has been working well for depression. Doctors are prescribing it more for that now.
    • Posted

I forgot to say. If you switch wean off your current medicine slowly. I took this medication for OCD, anxiety, depression, it worked great. Took about 8 weeks to fully work
  • Posted

I am from the USA so I'm not sure if you have this med.  When I was psychotic I was put on Latuda (generic-lurasidine I think).  It did wonders for me.  I've been on it now for three years and have had no returning psychosis.  You do have to take it at night though, it is very sedating

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.