Depression and anxiety driving me nuts! Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys first time on this forum I have followed it for a while and wanted to post something.

I have had depression and anxiety and have been on fluoxetine 20mg for nearly 12 weeks and propranolol for about 4 weeks.

I just feel like I constantly have a set back, I have good days and bad days where I am left feeling what's the point if I'm not getting any better.

I also have terrible health anxiety I am convinced something is wrong with my heart, I know it's probably the anxiety but if I don't take the propranolol it constantly races all day long. I was just wondering if anyone has any good news stories for a bit of encouragement!? ❤️ x

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Oh my God...you sound like me..I'm also looking for someone to share positive experience with me too. Is it the palpitations that makes you worry about your heart?my heath anxiety too is my heart..I have sore chest everyday..sometimes tightness sometimes fullness..it's all at the center. .I have had 5 ecgs that came back normal. .
    • Posted

Yeah the palpitations make me very aware of it, I also get the tightness and pains then that sends me into a spiral where I end up panicking more lol.

I sometimes only stand up and walk and my heart rate shoots up to 120 and then I'm convinced that's it for me lol I sound insane writing this lol xx

• Posted

Oh..how does your tightness feel like?

I know what you mean..now I'm having stomach cramp,feels like gas but somehow I relate it to my heart..I feel like crap very day thinking I can die anytime..docs says my heart is fine..I don't know what to do..I'm 23 I have an 18 mths old whom I love to bits and I just wanna be around for him..my husband's is great too and I feel very bad cause he's down because of me too..I really wanna have another baby but I just don't seem to have mood for anything..

• Posted

It kind of feels like when you eat too quickly and the food gets stuck in your chest for me (if that makes sense) lol.

I'm 23 too with two kids I understand the frustrations of not feeling like you can be the best mum that you can be xx

• Posted

Yup..that's how it is for me..I feel like crap cause I can't be as energetic for my son as I use to be..I keep thinking something is seriously wrong with my health and I may not be around to see him grow and be with him..and that makes me depress alot..I have had 5 normal ecgs and full blood count was good too..and some other tests came out fine..I don't know why I feel sick
    • Posted

Yeah it is very hard, I really understand where your coming from, are you on any medications for it? Xx
  • Posted

I went on many meds for anxiety and the only thing that helped me was Alprazolam. Not sure what the name for it is where you are.  Very low doses several times a day as needed.  
  • Posted

I promise you that you will be absolutely fine Aimee, I know the hardest thing in the world is to ask you to ride this out as calmly as possible but you really need too try to relax a little bit of you want to get better quicker, about 2 years ago I had anxiety really badly, for about 6months I didn't go to work and I followed my boyfriend around EVERYWHERE he went including the toilet and to work, I just couldn't bare to be alone with my own thoughts it was so scary not being safe in my own head, my eyes would glaze over and I'd sit and stare and think horrible thoughts with tears streaming down my cheek, I didn't want to wash, eat or even be alive because it was too hard, if it wasn't my scary thoughts ruining every waking second then it was my constant gasping for breath, swallowing or my heart beating really fast or skipping beats altogether.

now that was the most scariest experience of my life, I spent 8months feeling absolutely psychotic and most days I wanted to end my life because I didn't have a life anymore, I was barely existing.

my thoughts were irrational of course but that didn't stop them being so scary to me that I couldn't even breathe.

Now Aimee, I know life is hard right now but you have to relax, I saw my anxiety as a rabbit hole- I could easily spiral down and become nothing- either be insane forever or end my life but I knew that if I kept crawling up I could get out of this little by little, I figured out up until now I was doing nothing to help myself and even if I thought I was, it clearly wasn't working! so I spoke about my worries and problems with my boyfriend, I took my medication (sertraline 250mg and propranalol 80mg) and instead of staring into space I'd feel the negative thoughts coming on and I'd take deep breaths in, when I felt breathless I'd tell myself if I can talk I can breathe, and slowly I'd have better days, I set goals for myself like if my boyfriend was only going to work for a few hours I'd stay at home instead of go with him, after about 6weeks I had become 80% me again! I remember the proudest day of my whole life was going for a 30minute walk to work by myself to tell them I'd like to go back to work as i feel better. I couldn't believe I'd managed to do that by myself!!! so proud, all these little steps make you feel like a normal person again and one day, very soon I hope, you will be telling someone your success story.

It's really important to remember you are not the only one going through this and that you will feel better again.

Also I'm a nurse and I deal with anxiety and depression from patients on a daily basis, it's so important to be able to relate to people I think it helps them when I share my personal experience so keep talking to others Aimee, You're doing just fine.

• Posted

Hi kelly, thanks so much for replying with your story it was actually very inspiring! It's nice to know there is light at the end of the tunnel and that this "monster" won't be around forever.

I am studying nursing at the moment and sometimes think "how can I be nurse when I don't have it together " but to hear that someone else in that profession can be affected too doesn't make me feel so insane lol! xxx

• Posted

you're not insane at all smile but I know what you mean I felt like I was fooling everyone, giving out medication and treatment when I needed it myself! But nurses who have been through it themselves make the best nurses! You'll have lots of empathy and understanding for your patients, I used to work in A&E and you see a lot more depression and anxiety then you'd imagine, I'm sure whatever you end up doing you'll be great xx
  • Posted

Omg I'm the same. I'm constantly thinking that I have something and I finish checking and having test for something and I look for something else. It's so depressing.
  • Posted

Hi guys i have just jioned this forum, my prombles with anxiety started in may 2015, so for the last eight months,i have been finding it hard to come  to terms with life the way it is now, i am 41 years old man that loved life, had many interests , i just about can do my job, but did have five weeks out of work due to the extremity of my anxiety, i have contant cheast pain, my mind just fells total different at times,i have pins and needles in my feet and hands most of the time,my breathing is diffcult at times, my heart races also very frightening, i could go on, i miss my life and would just love to feel normal again, i would love some good adive please.
    • Posted

Hi Trevor! I get where your coming from anxiety really takes over your life!

I also understand that anxiety symptoms are extremely frightening sometimes, I have had the embarrassing trips to A&E to be told nothings wrong and umpteen other unnecessary tests.

One thing that helps me through the day is to remember no matter how scary the symptoms are, they will never actually hurt you! Just try to acknowledge it as being anxiety and nothing more, I also try breathing exercises which can be very helpful in a stressful time.

I know how much you can miss being the old you but you will be that person again one day this will not be permanent. X

• Posted

thank you so much for your understanding and kind words, i will take your advice and do my best to apply it to my life.
    • Posted

This will not be forever, believe in yourself Trevor. have confidence in who you are and who you want to be and you will get there, we're all struggling but you are not alone 💛
    • Posted

yes i will,and yes it is a struggling,  but i think i can win this struggle, great to chat with you thank you for your support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.